Sign up  |  Log in

Tax on Gifted common vs preferred shares?

I know if you receive common shares as a gift, you’re taxed on the total fair value as if it were income.

What about preferred shares that are convertible to common shares? If they are received as a gift, are they taxed at the common share equivalent fair value, or at the preferred par value?

See how TagniFi is helping investment professionals streamline their valuation and analysis process in Excel. Sign up for a free trial today.

Not a US taxpayer but that doesn’t sound right to me. I think the person who gifts the shares pays the gift tax, not the recipient - so you do not claim the full amount, or any amount as income. Moreover the person making the gift can use their exemption to reduce the tax payable. 

I cant imagine that pref vs common shares would make a difference. Either way, the market value of the shares would be captured under the gift tax rules above, and paid by the donor. 

I did some asking around offline too - I’m not sure why the gifter would incur a tax liability as it’s similar to paying share compensation to employees. 

As for the recipient, the gifted shares would be similar to the revenue. I just know if its the case for common shares or even deferred interest (non-cash) on debt, there is a tax liability. 

Just curious to know if there’s a way to mitigate the tax liability by taking convertible preferred shares with a par value of nominal amount.