Is DCF useless?

That’s true. Like today rates are low and buffett was like at these low rates multiples are at fair value or something like that. So you are right, they use the multiple to factor it in. I just don’t like how people forecast 1 earnings and apply a multiple and call it a day. 

I love my cheese. I got to have my cheddar.

See how TagniFi is helping investment professionals streamline their valuation and analysis process in Excel. Sign up for a free trial today.

^ Yeah that’s fair, I do think a DCF prevents shortcuts and people who take shortcuts tend to gravitate towards multiples / rel val for that reason so it’s more frequently abused.  But that’s more a flaw of I think sloppy analysts and lazy thinking than multiples themselves.

#FreeCVM #FreeTurd #2007-2017

three things that will get in you in trouble:

ladies, liquor, leverage

~buffett

"You want a quote? Haven’t I written enough already???"

RIP

you think trump had problems with alcohol?

I love my cheese. I got to have my cheddar.

He doesn’t drink.

We’re gonna win so much, you may even get tired of winning. And you’ll say, 'Please, please. It’s too much winning. We can’t take it anymore. Mr. President, it’s too much.' And I’ll say, 'No, it isn’t!' We have to keep winning!

hpracing007 wrote:

He doesn’t drink.

So yes.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It be like that sometimes.

I also don’t have a dog because I don’t have any time, he’s so relatable!

We’re gonna win so much, you may even get tired of winning. And you’ll say, 'Please, please. It’s too much winning. We can’t take it anymore. Mr. President, it’s too much.' And I’ll say, 'No, it isn’t!' We have to keep winning!

Yeah I really can’t understand people who own dogs.  Seems desparate.

Do you guys even like apple pie? eesh. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It be like that sometimes.

he has tiffany/ivana to take his anger out on 

"You want a quote? Haven’t I written enough already???"

RIP

CEO10K-DAY wrote:

Do you guys even like apple pie? eesh. 

Yes, especially if it has 2 scoops of ice cream on top

^and there are no dogs around

DCF ain’t, your assumptions could be 

Magina, the Antimage II Never ever give up!!

Intrinsically valuing a potential investment (DCF being a type and no they arent analogous), is probably your best bet at predicting the future in terms of value vs relative or derivative based valuations (options pricing etc) and very well may end up resulting in luck based on the outcome, and in spite of hours, days or month building a model. 

That being said, Ill second that doing a top down analysis of macro conditions, then industry analysis, and working bottom up from there is going to be optimal. Asking questions like, vs my time horizon and risk tolerances, do macro conditions support investing? then from there, is the industry growing? (If not, I don’t care how great the company is, you will more than likely lose). Then ask, what about this company’s product or service is truly unique, innovative to fend off competition (since empirically the highest risk adjusted returns from from companies with sustainable long run ROEs above industry norms) and also look at what their corporate governance is like. Higher quality governance is also very strongly and positively correlated with investment returns over time.

Not a very pointed response here from me, but the truth is, theres a multitude of of key critera to consider; with these just being some of them.

Iprofit4sure wrote:

pointless CFA textbook rambling

CNBC Crypto Lesson #1: Buy High - Sell Low!

Black Swan wrote:

Iprofit4sure wrote:

pointless CFA textbook rambling

CNBC Crypto Lesson #1: Buy High - Sell Low!

LOL if pointless, then why even get a charter?

I knew I could count you on to bring up Ripple at any opportunity haha 

Admittedly that meme was too good to waste.  CFA is a good primer, as you get further into the career it becomes less relevant I think.