Zimmerman Case

Been hearing about this Zimmerman case in the Australia news.

The news is saying that it’s a big deal in the U.S. because it’s quite a polarising case. Just wondering what people are saying about this case. Is it really a case of one person in the office thinks he had a right to kill this guy and someone else thinks he committed a murder and should go down for it. I’m just curious about where the dividing lines are (i.e. is it more racial, or is it more about gun control and right to defend oneself, etc). What’s the talk about this case at the water coolers in America? Can you fill me in?

It’s a big deal because the scenario suggests race may have played a factor.

All of the above depending on who you talk to. To the NAACP it is a race issue. To gun control folks it is a gun control/“stand your ground” issue. I’m sure there are some folks on Zimmerman’s side, but I haven’t really heard much support for him in the press or from my friends/family. To me, it is just a wannabe cop who thought he was a tough guy and found out he couldn’t hold his own in a fight and pulled a gun instead of getting his a$$ kicked.

The reason it’s a big deal is 100% race. The case itself is pretty much exactly what higgmond described.

Honestly, I don’t hear anyone but the news talking about it. No one has brought it up at work or in a social setting since the week it happened. Unless it happens to a Kardashian, American doesn’t really care.

I was thinking this too, but that maybe it’s because noone wants to get involved with a potentially sensitive race issue.

^ I agree with BS 100%. It’s almost taboo to discuss the race aspect, but to me this was profiling at its worst. I’ve heard comparisons of this case to the Rodney King beating, let’s just hope this outcome is a lot better than that one.

Race is a significant component of the controversy, but it’s not the only component. Other important factors are:

1. The victim was young (16 years old)

2. Zimmerman was not arrested due to Florida’s “stand your ground law”

3. A neighborhood watch person was patrolling around with an active firearm (In some places, police are being issued tasers because guns are too lethal. Yet, untrained volunteers can carry loaded guns?)

Race and age of the victim provoke emotional responses. So, this is what the media and public focus on. To me, gun control and self defense laws are more important. What is important depends on the person.

I purposely do not follow news stories like this since it just causes my blood to boil. However, I have a feeling there is more to the story than what we are getting. The fact that Obama related to said victim as his son leads me to believe it’s grandstanding. It’ll be a political play.

All that said, has anyone heard a devil’s advocate of this case? I’ve heard through the grapevine that the kid in question was a real hell raiser while the perp really was a respected neighborhood watchman. Remember that he was not arrested at first glance as the police did not sense foul play and malice.

Playing the race card is way overdone.

I believe it has been reported that both have had incidents in their past. Pretty sure Zimmerman was charged with assault at least once and had a restraining order requested by a former girlfriend. Martin was reportedly suspended from school for having “drug related” items (think it was a bag with a few pot leaf pieces). Haven’t really heard much, if any, support for Zimmerman. To me, the fact that he left his car when the 911 dispatcher told him not to makes anything else kind of moot. It’s not like Martin was doing anything wrong that Zimmerman needed to stop.

Yeah, I think Martin’s charge was having the remains of pot on his person at school. I think bringing that up in this debate is really grasping at straws (by the media, not you). I mean, lets be honest. Bob Marley and Willy Nelson aren’t iconic violent offenders.

That’s why the “stand your ground” law is contentious. In most states, if you are able to run away but don’t, you cannot claim self defense. In Florida, however, you do not have the obligation to run away. This might legally justify Zimmerman’s decision to not drive away, despite being advised to do so by the police.

The special prosecutor is pretty much incompetent. The other case she’s working besides the Zimmerman involves a 12 year old sexually abused kid being tried as an adult when he injured his brother while wrestling and his incompetent mother waited 8 hours to take him to the hospital so he died.

I don’t have a problem with the “stand your ground” law in theory. I don’t think it should apply here though because Zimmerman was the chaser, at least until he figured out that he was going to get is a$$ kicked. He was sitting in his car perfectly safe (don’t know if Martin even knew he was there); called cops to report Martin as a suspicous looking person; was told by dispatcher to stay in his car and that police would come and check; ignored dispatcher and decided to follow and confront Martin. That is not “standing your ground” to me.

This is a big part of it too. If Zimmerman would have been immediately arrested there wouldn’t have been as big of a hoopla. Still would have made news, but not nearly as much. I’m a firm supporter of self-defense laws, but there should have been a more proactive approach by the DA. At least look like you’re trying to do something.

100% agreed.

^Yeah, I think this is the prevailing view

In other news. How one Earth will they get an impartial Jury???

^ maybe the OJ jurors are available.

Do the jurors have to be from Florida?

I live in Orlando. In the last year we have had Tiger Woods and his scandal, Casey Anthony trial, and now Trayvon Martin. Ridiculous.