Candidate under PCP investigation for "fidgeting"

A candidate scanned his entire PCP investigation letter and posted it,

This is from Dealbreaker. (all credit to Bess Levin) http://dealbreaker.com/2012/07/cfa-police-the-candidate-was-moving-his-hat-and-hands-around-using-what-appeared-to-be-signals/

*For the vision impaired:

1. Where were you in relation to the candidate when observing the candidate’s conduct: A: I stood both behind him a few feet and in front of him a few feet.

2. Was the candidate exhibiting any other behaviors? (Fidgeting? Looking around the room?) A: He was very fidgety.

3. Provide any additional details regarding your observations. Include all communications with candidates and all actions taken by testing personell. Use extra sheet if necessary. A: From what I observed over a period of about an hour and a half he was doing repetitive motions with his hat. It could have been just a nervous tic but it was almost constant and was very repetitive.

1. Where were you in relation to the candidate when observing the candidate’s conduct? A: I observed him from several places in the room.

2. Was the candidate exhibiting any other behaviors? (Fidgeting? Looking around the room?) A. Moving his hat and hands around using what appeared to be signals.

3. Provide any additional details regarding your observations. Include all communications with candidate and all actions taken by testing personnel. use an extra sheet if necessary. A. Candidate used hat and hands and fingers while fidgeting , sometimes using one finger or two fingers on various quadrants of hat or brim. he also touched forehead, ears. i could not figure out who he was signaling to.

ALL CFA Candidates, take this as a serious warning. To avoid a PCP investigation, make sure you:

Do NOT show any signs of fidgeting.

Do NOT ever touch your hat (if you are wearing one)

Do NOT use hands and fingers in any manner of fidgeting (including but not limited to using 1 or 2 fingers)

Do NOT touch forehead / ears in combination with fidgeting.

He is Asian and guilty.

he was on drugs

OCD?

You can wear a hat?

I don’t understand why people who get THAT nervous while taking a test even attempt to sit for this exam?

Seriously, is this the first exam of your life? Get a hold of yourself and behave like a normal effing test taker, its not that hard.

The same goes for a-holes who bring 25pencils and 3 calculators with a 10pk of batteries.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Even if you could wear a hat to an exam, why would you?

Only 3? But what if they all die?! I need a fourth!

Because it’s once a year and you sacrifice a lot for that 1 day. I never got that nervous but i did bring 2 calculators and 4 pencils. Why put to waste 500 hours of studying for a freak accident?

Nervosity is usually not a choice

Yea but if you haven’t overcome it by the time you are ready to sit for this exam, you have bigger problems to worry about than the CFA (imo)

A test makes you nervous? I wonder what will happen when you really get into a tense situation.

Those reasons support my case even further. So you spent countless hours learning the material and your biggest concern is your effing calculator battery?

If having a working calculator meant a difference between pass or fail, I know I did something wrong.

^ so you believe you would pass without a calculator?

Too funny. Have you actually sat any of the exams? If you drop your calculator or it mysteriously dies, you may as well pack up and go home. It’s impossible to pass the exam without a calculator, that’s why people worry about it not working.

ROFL, so the guy that was lecturing me on Olympic swimming that admits he doesn’t know how to swim is now lecturing the two charterholders above on exam prep…

Some protips from a guy who isn’t a CFA charterholder and never will be one:

1. Use mechanical pencils. Bring maybe three. You don’t need 25 #2 pencils.

2. Replace your batteries before the exam and then borrow a coworkers for the weekend.

The proctors will be promoted to chief proctors next year

I may be an idiot but I dun understand how people managed to change battery during the exam. I took 1 hr trying to figure out how to open the damm thing

Sage advice. I am starting to believe that Blake will someday save the universe, kind of like how Jeff Goldblum saved earth in Independence Day.

I generally agree. I took 1 #2 pencil and 1 mechanical pencil for Level 3. Used the mechanical pencil for scratch work and written portions since it stays sharp and used the #2 for filling in ovals where the bigger point makes that easier.