“You are profoundly un-self-conscious of your own failings. You were arrogant enough to think that the bank’s rules for traders

“Your fall from grace as a result of these convictions is spectacular,” Judge Brian Keith told Adoboli when he sentenced him. “You are profoundly un-self-conscious of your own failings. You were arrogant enough to think that the bank’s rules for traders didn’t apply to you.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-20/ex-ubs-trader-adoboli-guilty-of-2-3-billion-u-k-fraud.html

Man, why does that judge have to be such a jerk? Can’t he just tell the guy he jas to go to jail?

Because judges are profoundly un-self-conscious of the fact they are full of themselves.

in a world where numbers hurt more than words…who cares.

I think having the power of life and death over people must affect you over time. I think it’s like the police. If a big part of your job is punishing people, you probably get into it after a while.

reminds me of those stories of nurses/doctors that turn the power of healing into dominion over someones’ life/death…

Judge’s love to add literary flair to their judgements. Check out this judges rulling following a junk lawsuit against Eminem by a high school bully he wrote a song about. There’s actually more, I read to most of the summary judgement, it’s really clever.

"Mr Bailey complains that his rap is trash / so he’s seeking compensation in the form of cash.

"Bailey thinks he’s entitled to some monetary gain / because Eminem used his name in vain. / The lyrics are stories noone would take as fact / they’re an exaggeration of a childish act.

“It is therefore this court’s ultimate position / that Eminem is entitled to summary disposition.”

Ohai, what you’ve just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

move aside fruit loop

I think this is a worthy admonition. A lot of the time, judges provide their own opinions and editorials in the verdicts of court documents themselves. What the judge said is a bit more harsh than usual but totally justified.

Is it 1995 again already?

Still sounds like the guy is on a power trip.

Well, given that the guy’s defense was “The bank made me do it,” and the bank’s (upheld) defense was “No we didn’t,” it’s not all that overboard. It just uses british sentence construction, which makes it sound a bit more draconian.

The judge didn’t drill him enough. He was way too easy on him. What a softy!

Sincerely,

Judge Judy.

I would’ve never even considered the difference in sentence constructions. Are you human?

I think that comes natural to alot of people in the law profession, since all they do is read/write. My sister and an old friend are both lawyers and they have that same flair for writing.

good find by the way.

I meant to quote lbriscoe on this one.

totally justified

win