So Harvard hates me....

Got rejected today, no interview. Boooooooo!

Did you put your experience as Boardmember of Analystforum?

So I guess you will be castrating yourself.

Lol, I did in fact put it under activities. Sadly, they were not awed by my power.

You aren’t as interesting as CT

Climb a few mountains around the world and say that you are white and worked in India.

Yes! Please do the world a favor and not reproduce.

Harvard’s no Yale

Rusty hacksaw time.

Nice

Sorry to hear that man. I was rooting for you

Sorry to hear that. If it helps, Stanford is a far superior institution and presumably, application is still pending for that one.

Thanks guys! Hopefully I’ll have better news in the future.

^ in all seriousness I’m sorry to hear that. Getting dinged is always a big roundhouse kick to the self esteem.

Well, you know what Charlie Sheen says about getting laid. The secret to boning a lot of chicks is to ask a lot of chicks if they want to bone. If the hot ones don’t go for it, lower your standards.

You don’t have to get the hottest chick at the bar. Even if you bag one that’s a 9 on the scale, that’s still pretty good. And even if you go to *gosh* Duke or MIT, you’ll probably be doing good.

We’re all rooting for you, Swannie!

Happened to me last year. I feel your pain

So what your plans? Go to the best one you get accepted to or holdout for another year if your top choices don’t pan out?

^ Well, I’m not getting too worked up about it. It didn’t even ruin my lunch yesterday (when I found out). I already have an MS in Finance from a decent school and I’ve decided that if I go, I’m only interested in full time. Because of the cost (both explicit and opportunity cost) I feel I can only justify the marginal advantage by going to a top 5 school. Otherwise, I think I’d be better off just focusing on organically growing my career. My application is generally strong, ignoring my undergrad performance, which was exceptionally aweful. So, much of my application comes down to how they choose to view my undergraduate transcript. Harvard was admittedly a long shot, although I was dissapointed I did not get to interview. I was looking forward to the opportunity to possibly visit campus and the experience of meeting with them. However, that didn’t really pan out. Stanford and Chicago are my other two applications. I think Stanford’s even less likely than Harvard was, so we’ll see how that goes, but I’m not getting too optimistic there. Chicago will be more likely I think - and a great match as well, and I’ll see how that pans out with interviews announced next week.

I wanted to give myself the opportunity of applying to see how I stacked up. But if it doesn’t pan out, or I decide against going, then I’ll have given it my shot and turn my focus back to my career. I definitely will not be submitting further applications at my age (29) and will probably just focus on exploring other options. I may just focus on my finance career, but I’m also exploring some career switch options (farming for example) and will hopefully be making some sort of exciting changes one way or another this year.

The question isn’t whether they let you into Harvard. The question is who is going to stop you.

Who is going to stop him from going to Harvard? The admissions committee?

Well, I mean, to a certain extent Harvard stopped me. I’m not going to deny how great of an institution it is and how it must feel to attend the school, but at this point I don’t think further effort expended on chasing admission there would be worth while. I don’t want to develop tunnel vision and blindly pursue a goal on sunk cost. I feel like my application did a great job of representing who I am both accurately and favorably. To a certain degree I’m content with their decision.

I originally decided that applying to the top 3 once would be justifiable from a cost - benefit perspective, but that that was the extent I was willing to go. There’s a knee jerk response to chase what’s denied to you, but thinking back, I still agree with my initial decision and respect the admission committee’s. So I’m pretty good with things regardless of how they turn out. I just wanted to know that at least I gave it a whirl instead of wondering if I could have gotten in.