Who is the richest person you know or have met?

Idea for thread stems from bromion’s post in another thread where he knows a financier worth half a billion.

So lets see who every knows. I am talking about knowing them on a personal level and it’s a plus if they know you.

(We can leave their names out but would like to know what business they are in and their approx net worth)

Me:

Know: $350M hedgefund manager.

Met: $20B mayor of NYC

Wouldn’t they have to know you if you know them on a personal level?

Great grandson of Sam Walton. His parents are worth about $10 billion.

Yes but you might know them more than they know you. I know many things about the HF manager and even talked to his wife but he just knows me by name and a few things

Hmmm…wonder who that could be…

I have MET only one billionaire–former owner of the MInnesota Vikings who lives in San Antonio and owns a lot of car dealerships.

The richest person that I KNOW works in the same building as me. He owns an oil and gas company (or rather, several of them). He looks like he bought his clothes at a thrift store and I think he has forgotten how to use a comb, iron, or razor.

It’s odd–most of the really rich people I know are like that. (Maybe not to that degree.) They drive Fords and shop at JCPenney and wear $100 watches.

Hmmm…wonder who that could be…

I have MET only one billionaire–former owner of the MInnesota Vikings who lives in San Antonio and owns a lot of car dealerships.

The richest person that I KNOW works in the same building as me. He owns an oil and gas company (or rather, several of them). He looks like he bought his clothes at a thrift store and I think he has forgotten how to use a comb, iron, or razor.

It’s odd–most of the really rich people I know are like that. (Maybe not to that degree.) They drive Fords and shop at JCPenney and wear $100 watches.

[/quote]

I’ll second that. The really wealthy financier I know has the worst taste in clothes out of anyone I’ve ever met. He drives a Benz and lives in a pretty nice house but nothing you would expect for $500mm. I also know a lot of people in the 8-figure range in the CA hedge fund scene and many of them wear shorts and t-shirts to work and drive pretty run of the mill cars.

In undergrad, my finance group was lucky enough to spend a day with Warren Buffett. I got to talk to him for a while and we sat at the same table for lunch. It was pretty surreal and a defining moment in my life. That was the day I knew I would become a fund manager.

Fast forward 7 years, and I am an assistant PM at a small MM firm. Before nearly every investment decision I ask myself “what would Buffett, Munger and Graham say?..”

^That’s why they have a $500mm net worth. Not blowing it on Models and Bottles.

Ain’t nuffin wrong with JC Penny. That’s a fine outlet for good looking business casual. As we’ve beat the point to death, a car is nothing except a depreciating asset. Yo Bro, how’s your whip treating you? I may have to venture into the prior salvage market looking for value grabs. My Ford Expedition ain’t roaring like she used to.

I used to be a tennis pro in the hamptons. I have met a lot of really really wealthy people (particularly in finance) and got to know many of them on a personal level through tennis. I think the two richest were:

1. George Soros - used to play doubles with him probably a couple of times a month - he is a big tennis fan.

2. Julian Robertson - hedge fund titan

I also played tennis with John Pickett (former NY Islanders owner), Don Marron (Lightyear Capital), numerous others

I never had the balls/nuts to ask these guys for a finance job (kept it mainly tennis talk), although Julian Robertson wanted me to manage a golf course in New Zealand. I turned it down as it was in the middle of nowhere and the pay was terrible, but something I definitely considered.

It’s good, a few really minor issues but I love it so far. Had to replace the tint on one window ($50) and one of the sway bar inlinks was making a weird noise when going over bumps ($40 part on EBAY). It’s really fun to drive, especially with the top down. Email me at bromion1@gmail.com if you want to discuss the salvage market, I looked into this in depth and I think there are a lot of deals if you know where to look and are willing to put in some effort.

I interact pretty regularly with a PE guy worth about $3.5B. He definitely knows me, but I don’t think he particularly likes me. To be fair, I don’t think he particularly likes anyone who doesn’t directly make him more money.

My company’s former chairman is a serial entrepreneur worth about $2.5B. I spoke with him numerous times while he was chairman and attended a few events at one of his homes. Each time I spoke with him he pretended to remember me.

In college I worked for a company that was essentially the private investment company managing a billionaire’s money that he made by building up a business and selling it off. We dealt mainly in real estate development, but also owned a handful of private companies. He was worth about 1.2B or so. I met him a few times and you wouldn’t have known him from your average 60 something guy. He’d come into the office wearing Wranglers and driving a 10 year old BMW. Very reclusive, never spoke publicly. He preferred to give his vision for the company or the end goal, but spend time travelling on his plane with his wife and just leave the operations of companies to the managers.

I shook Shaq’s hand one time. I then mentioned I loved him in Kazaam.

I got nothing else.

CEO/founder of last company I worked for was worth about $2B and I sat twenty feet from him, he knows me. Since I’m in asset management, I often visit or speak to UHNW people worth hundreds of millions or billions, but don’t really count those since it is in a business setting and to be expected.

Honestly, where you go to school determines how many very rich people you know personally. I’m not going to list famous and wealthy people I know on the internet.

Know: Hedge fund manager in CA

Met (shook hands, introduced, casual conversation): Founder of one of the largest PE firms, founder of one of the oldest VC firms, owner of the Boston Celtics.

A college friend of mine is a billionaire – Canadian energy, ~$3 billion. He was fairly down to earth in college but drove some nice cars. We partied like crazy back then, heavy in the rave scene. Nowadays, he’s flying around in a private jet running his dad’s company.

from family office land: several billionaires and several just under that range that I know well (meaning visits/meals/rides on planes).

other work related: lots of HF/PE big wheels but only in work context, not buddies.

Never got to meet any of the big tech guys like Jobs, Zuck, Googlers, etc though it would be nice to meet someone of some wealth outside the finance arena

Iheartiheartmath

^thanks brah. For me - my boss, $3 billion.

Anil Ambani.