Black Swan! Come Back!

Where the fck you at bro? You need to come back and whip these AF sallies into shape! Furthermore, we need a hardened right wing Republican point of view on all this Obamacrap that’s being spewed back and forth!

What’s good with you? How was kayaking? How is sarging? What’s good up on your farm (I met a farmer’s daughter few weeks back FYI, nice girl)?

AF ain’t the same bro, we need some of that spitfire you used to slang.

#NOHOMO!

No homo, I pressume?

He’s been kayaking a lot. Cool stuff.

propecia*

I’ll trade in Greenman for that hill billy gun totting cracker anytime.

Last I read, he was juggling 8 women at the same time.

+2

And I’ll also throw in a buffet dinner for ten members of AF drinks included

I’ll take a PMSing woman over this meddling, hyper-sensitive, arrogant, self-righteous Mr know-it-all.

Please don’t come back!

he posted a goodbye thread in the level 3 forum

don’t think anyone noticed

+1

Although it was fun seeing him get worked up over trivial interet threads.

Black Swan is a good guy. Hope he decides to come back sometime.

That isn’t him.

I don’t want to put words in others mouths but a few months ago I believe STL explained it pretty clearly…

“Propecia is a helluva drug.”

True. Black Swan =/= theblackswan

so basically he’s strung out on baldness pills

he should come back doe.

Yo, where is that guy? Hopefully all is well with him.

Last I heard he stopped taking that propecia poison, buzzed his head, and started dating numerous HCBs. Mentioned that he was feeling well and things were good, maybe he decided to drop AF as well.

I have talked to him and he says that he stopped AF cold turkey and he can’t say that he misses it. He has off-board contact with most of the people he cares about maintaining contact with, and that’s enough for his taste.

When I talked to him and asked him what motivated his decision, he said that AF had lost a lot of the high quality posters and it was frustrating to have to moderate what had essentially devolved into discussions about whether and how often to fap, and other discussions that had a tendency to tilt from “politically incorrect” into outright racisim, as well as sexism that was truly insulting to many of the female members of AF and likely alienating them.

I can’t remember if he actually said this or if it was simply the impression he left me with but I definitely got the sense he felt embarrased to be implicated in this through association by being a moderator/board memeber and so stepped down and away.

He definitely did say that he made some attempts to be more assertive and to try to raise the bar on quality and that these 1) didn’t seem to work, and 2) generated a lot of animosity toward him, and so he decided it wasn’t really worth the effort anymore and that if the forum wanted to go down the toilet and talk about fapping and bishes and how “The Bell Curve” was the pinnacle of scientific reasoning, that’s fine but he didn’t want to be a part of it.

[PS: although I didn’t ask him specifically, I’m pretty sure he would not have a problem with my saying these things here, particularly if it resulted in things improving.]

I have to say, I can’t disagree with his analysis very much. I suppose I am holding out for the hope that things might get better, but right now the signal (good financial discussion) versus noise (fapping, racial slurs, random outbursts of anger and profanities for the fun of saying them) ratio is really low and I myself am finding it harder and harder to care these days.

There is some comedic value in watching these conversations, which I guess is why I’m still here, but AF used to deepen my thinking and understanding of things financial, and it’s been a while since I’ve felt that way.

To some extent, it may have to do with the fact that the industry is still contracting and that there are a few winners and many losers, and the winners are increasingly keeping quiet and things close to their chest. The fact that there seems to be only one macro play for the past few years (long the S&P / short everything else) also may be constricting the diversity of viewpoints and things that we can learn.

^^ I don’t know what to do about this, but I would like to figure out ways to make AF have a better signal-to-noise ratio.

Maybe we can talk a bit about that here, since BS and those like him are not likely to come back without it. If we can come up with implementable ideas, then we can work on them…

I mean…the problem is the water cooler…that is where all the fap, s*x, etc talk occurs. There’s some good discussion going on in the CFA, CAIA, Careers, and Investments forums. If we want to eliminate what is bringing the quality down then we should probably eliminate the water cooler. While I enjoy some of the comedy here (and have been guilty of “low quality” comments) I think bchad and BS make good points and I wouldn’t be opposed to taking out the water cooler even though I might miss it.

I don’t think we need to go so far as to eliminate Water Cooler, and I think WC is effective in trying to quarrantine that stuff and preventing it from surfacing elsewhere.

1. We do get some good discussions in Investments, but we get like one or maybe two per week, compared to the hundreds of threads in WC. I think the WC conversations are fine (with the exception of what I complain about below), but it seems like the Investments discussions are few and far between.

2. In carers, it’s probably useful stuff. I am a bit jaded by the gloom and the rapidity with which people are assumed to be pursuing CFA as a break-in tool, or how saying it isn’t a break-in tool is supposedly a trump card that wraps up any requirement to think about what might or might not work for the poster.

3. I was happy to hear a few success stories. Sometimes people need to hear a few - but again, maybe it’s just the general environment.

4. I do wish the racial and sexual epithets and profanities would not fly so easily around here. I realize that a lot of people are just ignorant of how to discuss stuff like this in polite society and others just enjoy sticking pins in other people, and I realize that being hyper-politically correct is both stifiling and unhelpful, but it’s just hard to have respect for people who are acting like they’re still in a high school locker room.

I think we’d all be more willing to put up with the crappy stuff here if we could just get more of the quality stuff.