NY Student accepted at all 8 Ivy League Schools

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ny-student-accepted-ivy-league-schools-23139053

Respect.

In before racial comments.

lol

Hacksaw for applying to lesser Ivys.

All the valedictorian asians with higher SAT scores and a larger arsenal of instrument skills (insert here)

Only because he is black

april fools

2,250? Clearly affirmative action.

This kid must have some spectacular extracurricular activities, because his numbers, while certainly nothing to sneeze at, don’t equate to getting into all 8.

SAT = 2,250 is impressive, but don’t 300 - 400 kids get a perfect score every year?

In the top 2 percent of his class. What?!?!? He’s not #1, or even top 1%?

Itera?

Maybe he knows some chunky white female admissions officers at all those schools, if you know what I mean.

^ Yes, harvard can choose to accept full score SAT students in their incoming class. every year.

In my very caucausian HS in a well to do town from a past life, if you weren’t top 3 in the CLASS (no % sign), you had 0 chance at Harvard. and BTW, Rank 1 and 2 in that class were both asian with stellar scores in everything + extracurriculers, both rejected from Harvard.

just the facts folks.

not just any affirmative action - 1st gen african american from ghana.

this prbly tops everything. 2250 and decent academics show he can keep up. doubt he’ll dominate.

but then again, he’ll prbly still get in HMS as a 1st gen AA from ghana.

where’d the rank3 go? was rank3 itera?

High school district also matters a lot in college admissions. That’s why people pay so much money to live in a school zone with good placement. Some public high schools send 10-20 kids to elite colleges like mentioned above. If you can afford to pay for Preppy Preppington private school, your chances are even better. Just like elite colleges are given preferential treatment in the job market, high schools with good reputation are held in high regard by college admissions departments. Good high school guidance counselors do not sit on their asses all day. They invest a lot of effort in presenting a high school and its students in a way that is favorable to colleges.

Also, at any elite college including the aforementioned, you will notice that high schools in close proximity to the college campus are very highly over represented. I suspect that colleges try to maintain good relationships and boost local high schools in order to improve the surrounding community. It probably does not hurt also that the children of university faculty, staff, or their acquaintances are likely to attend these neighboring high schools.

So in summary, while it is statistically very difficult to get accepted into any elite college, certain factors can give you an edge. Race is certainly one factor, location, good networking and politics on behalf of the high school also matter a lot.

what the fck is 2500 SAT? Is that like some inflation adjustment?

http://nypost.com/2015/04/05/meet-the-student-accepted-into-all-eight-ivy-league-schools/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPFacebook&utm_medium=SocialFlow

They hate us cuz they aint us, and they all peanut butter and jealous

haha love it I think it’s 2400 max? I took sat first year they bumped up max score, I hated having to write an essay

what happened to the asian kids suing colleges?

I always hated boxes where it asked your race because it always said “asian american”. What if you’re just asian?? And why is it asian american pacific islander. Fiji is very different from China.

Fifteen years ago, Vijay Chokal-Ingam shaved off his straight black hair, trimmed what he calls his “long Indian eyelashes” and started checking off the “black” box for race on his med-school applications.

Before long, the Asian Indian-American was interviewing at Harvard and Columbia, and found himself on wait lists at the University of Pennsylvania, Washington University and Mt. Sinai — despite his relatively mediocre 3.1 GPA and his family’s considerable wealth.

He says it’s a myth that affirmative action benefits the underprivileged.

He plans to write a memoir about his experiences, to be titled ­“Almost Black.”

“I got into medical school because I said I was black,” Chokal-Ingam writes in his blog, at almostblack.com. “The funny thing is I’m not. My plan actually worked. Lucky for you, I never became a doctor.”

Chokal-Ingam said he came up with the idea of self-identifying as “black” after seeing fellow Asian Indian-Americans with better grades than he had struggle to get into med school.“I disclosed that I grew up in one of the wealthiest towns in Massachusetts, that my mother was a doctor, and that my father was an architect,” he said Saturday, describing his med-school applications.

“I disclosed that I didn’t receive financial aid from the University of Chicago, and that I had a nice car,” he said. “I was the campus rich kid, let’s just put it on the table. And yet they considered me an affirmative-action applicant.”