Yu Darvish no longer single

A little late, however:

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2014/11/19/yu-darvish-of-rangers-is-dating-former-wrestling-champ/

Hearts breaking everywhere

Hope she doesn’t try this move on him -

Seiko Yamamoto

hope he is not dating michael phelps’ ex

You must be Asian.

[quote=“former_trader”]

The name emichan may have been a dead giveaway…

I’m married, in case I was your second choice.

he looks like the last guy who made me a taco

lol note the hate whenever a woman posts a thread about some dude she wants to have babies with as if the ratio is not 100:1 M:F for these types of posts…

Dude is tall, rich, successful, good looking, 9.5/10, etc… no homo but he is way out of his girl friend’s league. That chick is scary. This is not quite Federer levels of WTF but it’s up there. Lots of regular middle class dudes I know have better looking girl friends / wives.

yeah she is fugly. He should get one of those ganguro chicks in Shibuya. Do they still exist?

I don’t understand what’s happening in this thread.

bromion makes a good point about the gender inequality in these types of threads.

However, a gender neutral response we can assign to this thread is: who gives a shit.

Second

Boo

I also disagree that his gf is out of his league. They’re both professional athletes (ok so she’s retired). I’d say they’re on equal ground, at least status-wise (because obviously Darvish makes way more than she does).

It’s ok. They’re not married yet. I still have a chance.

In before ft says, “Only a woman would think status matters to a man.”

Maybe she’s really good to him, and doesn’t mind if he has some extra stuff on the side.

It’s monogamy that makes looks so important to a guy. If he can only have one woman, then she’s got to be satisfying in that department because there’s no way to get satisfaction elsewhere. But if she is willing to let him have some extra on the side, suddenly all of the other things like intelligence, common interests, niceness, etc., come to the fore.

^So you’re saying that all men will only pursue looks, period. Intelligence, common interests, niceness, etc. are never a motivator? I’m not saying looks aren’t important. It’s probably a prerequisite really, to meet the minimum on looks. I went on a date once with a guy that looked like the dwarf guy from game of thrones. Except that he wasn’t short. He might have been the nicest, smartest guy I’ve ever met (he wasn’t), but I just couldn’t get past that forehead. Sorry. But once you meet that minimum, I feel like intelligence, niceness etc become far more important. Who would date a male model that beats you? Or someone you’re too embarassed to bring to dinner parties because he thinks Africa is a country?

Another thing that always irritates me is that from what I read here I assume you are all Darvish+ good looking guys (impossible). Rate women all you want, but I hope you’re bringing something to the table too (and money is not enough–see above). Example: I went out last night and ran into nine or so ridiculously-overgrown frat boys on the “prowl”. All of them were unbelievably ugly, and they didn’t have to be either, it was just pronounced by questionable fashion choices and beer bellies. My point is, good luck finding nine (or eight, if that’s your thing) single ladies when what you offer isn’t exactly appealling.

I think if a guy is footing the bill for everything or expected to foot the bill (girl works menial job) then men shoot for nines. If a girl has good qualities and decent equal paying job I think most men will settle for a 7 or 6. Also depends on what the guy looks like as well…7 or 6 might be 3 or 4 in other people’s books.

To be fair, Peter Dinklage is one fine looking dwarf.

My thoughts exactly.

That’s not what I’m saying. The better looking woman doesn’t automatically get the most desirable man. But the better looking woman generally has more options, and desirable men will fawn over a better looking woman far more often.

Men do not *only* value looks, but we value them a lot, and tend to be willing to pass over or toss aside very nice, intelligent, companionable women when we think a hottie might get with us.

I agree that this is in many ways silly, and self destructive, and hurtful to the women who - for whatever reason - aren’t considered 8s, 9s, and 10s. But the question is “why do men do this?”

And my answer to this is “it’s a consequence of monogamy.”

There’s one main thing that you’re not supposed to do when you’re in a monogamous relationship, and that’s sleep with someone else (and perhaps be obvious that you want to). Even if - especially if, in fact - you find them highly stimulating. Men shoot for the most physically attractive women they can find because if they “settle” in that area of life, they’re (typically) stuck with the choice between feeling they can no longer pursue what stimulates them, or they have to cheat (which may be risky or not, depeding on a host of variables).

Given that choice, and the fact that things like intelligence and companionship can at least be partially settled by (permitted) engagements with others, most men will engage in monogamy with women who are at or close to the top of what they believe they can attract.

For long relationships, that can be short-sighted, and it can feel unfair, but it is not completely illogical, given how most men are wired.

The really interesting question is how things would change if monogamy weren’t the norm. All of a sudden, those other important qualities might become more important to more enduring pairings, because all of a sudden, the stakes don’t seem as high, and things like the ability to get along, to laugh, to have something to talk about becomes more important than it used to be.

That doesn’t necessarily mean everything becomes a sexual free-for-all. There are many different models for polygamy. I myself am not polygamous (in part because my partners aren’t), but I don’t find all the models of polygamy to be crazy, and I think in some ways it could be healthier than the system we have now.