Sign up  |  Log in

Industry Terms You Can't Stand

S2000magician wrote:

Honestly, I hate “correlation”, simply because it’s typically used ambiguously.

Finance people talk about the “correlation of assets”.  What does that mean?  The correlation of their returns?  The correlation of their prices?  The correlation of their latitudes (or longitudes)?

The problem, of course, is that the speaker has no idea what he or she means, and it morphs into whatever they want.

Idiots!

I also can’t stand “correlation” because, invariably, those that say it (even if they specify the two variables) often confuse the word for the either the magnitude and/or time series sequence concentration effects they are really trying to describe. A similar complaint is people that say “volatility” when what they’re really trying to describe is drawdown or some other measure. 

"When what I'm doing isn't working, that's when I'll take your criticisms." -- Me, some time ago

Circle back..

circle jerk

I love my cheese. I got to have my cheddar.

I’ve heard a few talking about snacking recently.  for example,  I’ll send round the analysis and we can all snack on it.

I actually quite like it. 

Having an appetite for something.

There is a bonds salesman sitting behind me at work and he says at least once a day “I’ll check with my manager if we have appetite for this kind of risk”. And at least once a day I want to punch him square in the face. 

It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

Nerdyblop wrote:
lol why complicate it.

Because this is a forum for finance types, and finance types get this wrong a lot, to the detriment of their clients.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

TrackSuitInvestor wrote:
And at least once a day I want to punch him square in the face.

Here’s an idea:

When I was in the 8th grade I had just moved and was the new kid at school.  In math class one day one of the bigger kids was constantly pestering me, and when I told him to stop he stood up, pointed to his chin, and said, “C’mon!  Hit me right here!”

I whipped around and slapped him as hard as I could.  You could hear it at the far end of campus.

He walked around school the rest of the day with the whole left side of his face bright red.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

Lets take this offline

S2000magician wrote:

TrackSuitInvestor wrote:
And at least once a day I want to punch him square in the face.

Here’s an idea:

When I was in the 8th grade I had just moved and was the new kid at school.  In math class one day one of the bigger kids was constantly pestering me, and when I told him to stop he stood up, pointed to his chin, and said, “C’mon!  Hit me right here!”

I whipped around and slapped him as hard as I could.  You could hear it at the far end of campus.

He walked around school the rest of the day with the whole left side of his face bright red.

You can take the boy out of Scotland but you can’t take Scotland out of the boy.

Having said that, a headbutt would have been the more traditional response.

This is the mother lode, right here:

http://unsuck-it.com/

"When what I'm doing isn't working, that's when I'll take your criticisms." -- Me, some time ago

^ this is brilliant.  I particularly like the ‘email the douchebag’ feature and I fully intend to do so whenever anyone in my team uses one of these terms.

Common response, but not official motto of house S2000

This is the mother load (see drop downs):

http://stockcats.com/

#FreeCVM #FreeTurd #2007-2017

Black Swan wrote:

This is the mother load (see drop downs):

http://stockcats.com/

Going to keep this on hand for the next RFP and quarterly letter.

Oh no, you don't want to mess with a guy thats riding on a buffalo.