Series 7

So my boss finally pulled the trigger, and I find myself (again) studying for my Series 7 and 63. I passed them ten years ago, but haven’t been in the industry since 2008, so my licenses are expired.

The first time I passed them was in 2005. I was fresh out of the Marine Corps, and knew nothing about nothing. I passed the 7 after about a month of study, and passed the 66 after about two weeks.

Since then, I’ve finished my MBA, CPA, and CFA. So I don’t expect a lot of difficulty mastering the material. It just sucks that I have to take them again.

Any advice? Any “hard” parts that I need to pay extra attention to?

And @Chad - why isn’t there a section of AF devoted to the Series 7?

Just subscribe to a service that has digital practice tests/question banks. Just take a bunch of practice tests for a couple weeks leading up to the test.

I remember there were quite a few options questions when I took the exam a few years ago. I remember it being relatively straightforward if you studied.

I found the 66 harder than the 7. Damn Blue Sky laws…

Either way, neither should take longer than a couple weeks. If you’re looking for study guides, try googling some torrents. If you’re into that sort of thing.

The company I got licensed through gave us full access to Kaplan’s stuff, including study guides, video lectures, Q-Bank, etc.

The first time I took it (when I didn’t know shit from shineola), all I had was a Passtrak manual, and didn’t have any practice exams.

And by virtue of being a CFA Charterholder, I’m exempt from the 65, so I get to take the 63 now. I’ve heard it’s much easier.

If all I wanted to do was sell the fee-based stuff, I wouldn’t even have to take the test. I could start today under my company’s RIA model. But somebody told me that taking the 7/63 was a good idea, because every once in a while, you’ll want to sell a Variable annuity or variable life or something.

What does this have to do with BMW’s?

i took the 7/63 as a Canadian with limited knowledge of U.S. securities laws and it was a breeze. don’t really even bother studying for the 7 as a practising U.S. broker and CFA. the 63 was a little tougher for me b/c of the complete lack of knowledge and familiarity but was easy come test time after a bit of studying. the questions are mind-numbingly easy. i used the Kaplan Q-Bank for most of the studying but referred to the Kaplan text when i needed more clarity on some of the Series 63 material.

If you’re on the up and up, advise them to buy insurance products direct.

#score>80%meansyoustudiedTOOhard

#dontwasteyourtime

I have to study this crap

I’ve said this before here and it’s a total brag, sorry, but I actually fell asleep during the test and still passed. So… not hard. I did study a few weeks though, I wasn’t “allowed” to register for exam until I got 90%+ on all practice exams (I say “allowed” because looking back we were all 1099 so who gives a f what the receptionist/HR/admin in charge of new “hires” say)

I hope I can say the same thing on sat though, and my strategy will be completely the opposite (plan to stay awake, that is)

I took 66 too, I can’t remember but I think it was shorter/harder but I stayed awake during that too

#L2shouldbeaWalkInTheParkforyou

#easypeasyjapanesey

Best yet.

alphabet soup

I’ve only heard one other person ever say this, and he was the libararian at a prison in Maine.

#BrooksWasHere

#SoWasRed

I was thinking about the same, until i saw series 66…

anyway, it’s just a broker exam for people who sell securities?

i can’t believe you have to do that again!