Why do people keep going to Nobu

It’s not that good…

I don’t know what a Nobu is. Is it like Dorsia?

I only ate there once – I thought it was wildly overrated and overpriced.

Agreed. Would be a great HBS case study regarding the power of a brand name.

haha this made me actually lol

good one man, good one.

To add, does anyone actually eat at Au Bon Pains? They seem like an epic waste of real estate.

No one goes to Dorsia anymore. You don’t see Ivanka Trump there

There is one directly adjacent to the elevator I ride each day. I’d be lying if I told you I haven’t consumed a bath tub full of their french onion soup.

i met him at an elevator!!! i ddint kno who he was though. but my boss did and was uber excited.

i ate at Nobu in Dubai for my birthday last year… I had close to 10 different courses. In my opinion it was pretty tasty!

Naboo?

I saw Gorbachev at Tunnel.

I would not say that Nobu is bad. Ignoring the price, eating there is generally a positive experience. The quality of food there just does not justify its price or the popularity of the restaurant. I am also surprised that the waiters at Nobu are the standard Mexican immigrant type of food service employee, and not the snooty type of waiter that tends to be employed at other higher end restaurants.

Anyway, I was there again last night, and the thing that bothered me the most is how so many of their raw fish dishes are drenched in miso or soy sauce. The tuna tartare appetizer was inside a pool of salty liquid. They used an abundance of what appeared to be the same sauce on several other dishes.

Some dishes were nice - for instance the cod. However, I am not convinced that the same quality cod cannot be found at a more reasonably priced restaurant. The sushi quality was good but not great. The best dish I have had their so far is the wagyu beef. Maybe they just do non-seafood better. Then again, it’s probably not that hard to make a nice steak if you only eat cows who have earned Ivy League degrees or whatever is the standard for this beef.

sushi grade fish drowned in sauce/miso/whatever tends to mean the fish isn’t that fresh.

Haven’t they just ‘americanized’ the food with lashings of sauce? You wont get the same experience in London.

Perhaps. I am not too familiar with the London sushi scene. Americans don’t do sauce very well though, not like the French. I could go to Le Grenouille and just eat sauce.

That’s not necessarily true, it mostly means it’s prepared by non Japanese for non Japanese audience. They make lots of money doing it, so I guess that works.

If it’s not that fresh, it’ll be in the “specials” as a seared-xyz or lightly-fried xyz. Trust me, I sold lots of specials when I was in college haha.

The tuna was fresh and high quality; it was just ruined by the overwhelming sauce. Some of the other fish was cured, so was not supposed to be fresh.

But Ivana Nadal does go there.

And Dorsia is closed for refurbishments.