Atheists, what do you think of religious people?

“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”

lol @ plebeians who still believe the stuff.

And people wonder why polls show that, as a group, atheists are disliked and distrusted even more than politicians.

sources of these polls please?

Google’s your friend.

Do some research.

You don’t go to court and make a claim without evidence, or hand in a paper without hardvard referencing.

You’re the one who made the claims, the onus is on you to show the evidence, unless you’re a religious person who don’t believe in evidence and science… I hope not.

Unless you can show me the source of your claim, I’m gonna have to dismissed it as bogus claim. (ps, I did google it prior, and did not find anything).

You obviously don’t understand the point of my original post.

Dismiss my claim or not – your choice – but you should still ask yourself what the real point is.

Yes, I get your point, you could have just said that you dislike or distrust atheists, I’m fine with that, instead of claiming “polls” show that but then unable to produce where you saw these “polls”.

I could have said that, but it wouldn’t have been true.

No . . . you didn’t get the point.

So what is your point?

And do these “polls” exist? If so, please give us the link so that we can view it and judge it’s authencity and objectivity and independence.

Thanks.

Since you’re a bit lazy with the google search, and apparently haven’t read any news on this issue in the last few years:

Psychology Today Article: Why Americans Hate Athiests

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-secular-life/201406/why-americans-hate-atheists

I don’t hate athiests myself, but many of the more outspoken ones are just as annoying as the outspoken religious people are.

As for my own beliefs, I don’t see a lot of evidence for a supernatural God, but I’m content to leave it at “I don’t really know, but I’ll take Pascal’s wager.” Plus a good portion of that “don’t kill”, “love thy neighbor” stuff seems like a good idea. And my neighbor’s really cute.

I’ll leave that to your analytical mind.

Of course they do.

I’m many things; a liar isn’t one of them.

S2000 seems really agitated.

this troll has been posting non sense in the CFA forums for a while

Yeah, but you don’t have to be religious to believe that you shouldn’t run around killing other people at will.

This seems to be a very big fault of some of the more evangelical denominations of Christianity. They seems to think, “either you’re a Christian and a good person, or you’re not and you’re a murdering, raping, child-sacrificing Satanist.” They don’t seem to realize that there is a lot of middle ground there. (Note - I consider myself to be a devout, but not crazy, Christian.)

Remember, atheists are a minority in the USA, and homo sapiens are always fearful of minorities. But it’s interesting that the public actually hates atheists even more than other minorities…

“Social science has long revealed high rates of secularphobia – the irrational dislike, distrust, fear, or hatred of nonreligious people – within American society.”

“For example, a study by Penny Edgell of the University of Minnesota, from back in 2006, found that atheists come in last place when Americans are asked to rank members of certain racial, ethnic, or religious groups as potential spouses for their kids. And a Gallup poll from 2012 found that 43 pecent of Americans said that they would not vote for an atheist for president , putting atheists in last/worst place, behind Muslims (40 percent of Americans said they wouldn’t vote for a Muslim for president), homosexuals (30 percent wouldn’t), Mormons (18 percent wouldn’t), Latinos (7 percent wouldn’t), Jews (6 percent wouldn’t), Catholics (5 percent wouldn’t), women (5 percent wouldn’t) and African Americans (4 percent wouldn’t).”

arhh… I forgot, this forum is dominated by religious 'Muricans.

I agree. My point on that was more about my not feeling a strong need to convince devout people that they should abandon religious belief. I don’t need a supernatural being to believe that that stuff is good, but if others do, I’m not going to go undermine it in them just to make some abstract point.

If they start mixing religion into politics, trying to remove evolution from the science curriculum, and using God a a justification for legislative initiatives, I will push back, though, but I will usually push first with the tradition of separating church and state, the fact that the Bible does not speak with a single coherent point of view, rather than telling them they shouldn’t believe in an old man with a beard who has nothing better to do than sit around judging each of us individually on everything we’ve ever thought and done.

You’re kidding, no?

Nope: that’s not it either.

Kuro: whenever you’re ready to apologize for claiming that my reference to the polls was bogus, I’m ready to accept it.