Do people ever reject giving your business card?

I find this so odd. If you don’t want it just take it for respect and then put it in a random pocket, I mean right? Networking is good. I have a big notebook (it is literally the brand rolodex) of cards that I keep if I ever need to contact the person in that field. I usually remember the date we met (roughly) and if I have a relevant conversation it works.

If I ever rejected somebody’s business card, it’s probably because:

1. I have absolutely no desire to ever talk to them again or do business with them.

2. And I want them to know it.

3. But I’m nice enough to save them the 1/2 penny that a business card costs.

No, I’ve never had anyone reject my card. I’m sure it’s found its way to the trash many times shortly after being accepted, but no one has ever not taken it. I’ve had tons of people say they’ve forgotten/run out of their card, and sometimes think they just don’t want to give me one.

The business card is truly an antiquated thing. A cute relic of the past. Shoot me an email or a text on the spot is we really want to do business or get together. Otherwise, that business card will just end up at the dry cleaners or in the trash.

^ Similar to the suits/sport coat discussion thread, that really depends on who you regularly do business with.

Yeah, refusing to take business card is a definite “you suck, and I want you to know it” move.

The “you suck, but I’m going to be polite” move is to take the card and put it in a pocket with all the other cards you don’t care about.

As for not having a business card to give, I sometimes wonder if this is a cover for “I’d rather not hear from you,” but most of the time I hear the guy saying it to a bunch of people. After having said this, they can’t very well start pulling out a card to the next person.

If you don’t have cards but really want to get in touch with someone, the standard ettiquette is to take one of their cards and write your contact info on it. I suppose you can pull out phones and email each other right then and there, too, but it’s still tricky to do that in an elegant way.

People rejoice to receive my business card. They can’t help but appreciate the subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. And, what’s that? Yeah, it even has a watermark.

I used to have really nice cards. High quality paper, tasteful use of gold on black, a watermark, etc. They were so nice that once I handed one to a client and he said something to the effect of “Wow, look at this card. No wonder you charge me so much.”

I love that scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Did I just get RickRolled!!!??

^ I still own the dance floor when I bust out Rick’s moves.

I’ve never had someone reject my card and I’ve handed out countless, especially back when I was in sales. I’ve also never rejected any card.

rejecting a card is a dick move unless that person has literally just told you you’re a ****.

i just started sweating reading this. STL… *gulp*… “Nice.”

I think this dude tried giving a card to Itera. Didn’t have a Harvard logo, so he wouldn’t even touch that lower class paper.

^ True, the business card must specify the person’s name, that they were a top 1.5 MBA, and that they went 3/3 on CFA. Otherwise, card hits the shredder along with the resume. In fact, even if the resume is a soft copy, Itera will print it out just to have the satisfaction of shredding the hard copy.

No, I have not encountered that. But I had a situation like that during local CFA society meeting. There was an unemployed guy whom I pitied and texted him a message (had no cards with me!). He was so embarassed to tell me if he received it. Obviously, the dude was too jealous of my job and could not hide it. Bad manners.

To me, it is plain politeness to exchange the contact information. Basic style. Standard.

This made my day. Thank you, bchad.

bchad with the Rick Roll! Well played, sir.

Hard to catch STL at his own game.

However, I’ll also stick in STL’s reference scene. The whole scene is fun, but the quote doesn’t come in until 1:16.

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU43Dm0h9Ow]