The NBA Thread

Not that I watch just a whole lot of NBA (can’t get the Spurs, season coincides with tax season, etc.), but I expected the OKC-Spurs matchup to be five games, max. Now it looks like it’s heading toward seven.

And for the first time since I was a junior in High School, Tim Duncan was held scoreless in a playoff game.

It’s nice to see some competition there, but it’s a funny thing happening. Both competative series (MIA/TOR, SAS/OKC), are entertaining to watch, but rather meaningless. Cavs will steamroll through east finals, just like GSW will do in the west. The finals might actually look pretty good. I have to give Cavs some credit, they seem to be hitting their big 3 stride just at the right time… and I was pretty optimisic for Raps going into playoffs but the guards choking won’t get them anywhere.

If they care about competetive spirit and the best team winning it all - they should remove conferences.

East is a cakewalk for cavs and to win championship they will only have to defeat one tough team from the west. So as long as lebron stays there, they will reach finals every single year.

Meanwhile in the west, Okc or Spurs won’t even make the conference finals, let alone season finals.

OKC or Spurs wont make the conference finals? Ok guy.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves GS still has to get through Portland and I think either OKC or the Spurs have a decent shot to beat them.

I thought the Spurs really shouldve won last night. Leading by 7 at half and looked very good up until about 10 minutes left in the game. Aldridge had an off night for sure but it wasnt like they played bad. It will be pretty devastating if the Spurs lose this series given that they have such a deep bench this year and two of the top 6-7 players in the NBA.

Neither OKC nor the Spurs will make the Western Conference finals. Got it.

How much do you wanna bet? I’ll give you 2-1 odds. 10-1 odds. 100-1 odds. Just name it.

I meant one of them will be gone before the conference finals.

^Really? Nostradomus, you are!

Who could have predicted that either OKC or San Antonio would lose the series between OKC and San Antonio?

^ whatever dude

If you read my post from the beginning you’d see that I’m talking about inequalities between two conferences.

Cavs have it easy - beat detroit + hawks + heat/toronto and go the the finals. They don’t play Gsw/Okc/Spurs/Clippers until the finals

While in the west you have two favourites to win it all - OKC and Spurs playing each other in the semifinals. And the road to the finals is significantly harder in the western conference.

So if Okc/Spurs were in the east they would smoke competition and be guaranteed a spot in conference finals every year. But due to the league/competition imbalances they have to eliminate each other so early.

^ while agreed for the last few years, this season the west has dropped off significantly. if you put in the top 16 teams from the league, (not counting conferences), your playing field would be pretty similar to what it is. Last year though, i do agree, it should have been like 10 West teams and 6 East (at best)

^

wait what? The East continues to be a joke. Toronto is the second best team in the East and they would be lucky to be an 8 seed in the West.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such unnecessary hostility over a completely harmless comment. This place is a cesspool.

join the club

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Cnf.html?ls=iref:nba:gnav

Bottom 4 playoff teams of the west:

Houston - went 28-24 in the west, meaning they were 13-17 vs the east

Memphis 25-27 vs west, 17-13 vs east

Dallas - 27-25 vs west, 15-15 vs east

Portland - 29-23 - 15-15 vs east

So out of your “stacked” West, only 1 of the non powerhouse team had a winning record in the east.

Since you bring up Toronto,

39- 13 vs the east, 17-13 vs the west. (56.7% which would be good enough for 4/5th spot in the west vs west oponents alone, not counting their eastcoast percentage)

can you seriously say with a straight face that Toronto would beat OKC, SA, LAC, Portland, GS, a healthy Memphis team, or even Houston in a best of 7 series?

Memphis and Houston ez.

Portland - depends which team shows up on each side lol.

LAC - tough one,

OKC/SA are powerhouses.

Listen, I’m not saying its exactly even, my main point was, it evened out significantly since last year, and is now approaching parity. West is top heavy with OKC/SA/GSW, while east legit only has Cavs, and Raps have overachieved in reg season, but the rest the of the teams in the west have regressed while east has been on the rise. If KD bounces from OKC to the east next year, you very well might see 2 beasts of the east vs 2 in the west.

Dude, do you have severe brain damage? You made an outlandish comment about Toronto being lucky to nab an 8 in the West, you get your point refuted and suddenly the narrative changes to “Toronto could never beat Golden State, OKC, San Antonio, etc.!”

Lmao. What a clown.

I count 7 teams I listed there, angry bird. How many do you count? Having fun studying?

That’s exactly my point! You said they’d be lucky to nab an 8 seed. Canada man comes back with 4 teams the Raptors are likely better than and you list out 7 in response. You’re stupid.

I think I see your point now queer. So his regular season stats trump my opinion of who will fare better in a best of 7 series. I hink I see where youre coming from.

Lols, my point precisely, but spelling this out for him is probably a more correct course of action vs presenting legit stats.