Dems like billionaires too

Looks like Trump has inspired a few of his democratic billionaire brethren to become public servants as well.

http://observer.com/2016/12/billionaire-donor-stephen-bittel-florida-democratic-party/

I think this is a good development. People like this run because they actually have a social agenda, unlike people whose career is in politics. The latter people tend to focus on what will win them the next election and not what they think is good policy. There was a NYT article a few weeks ago about how Senate Democrats were thinking of supporting various Trump proposals where they shared a common interest - but they later reverted to the obstructionist kind of rhetoric; it’s better for Trump to accomplish nothing so Republicans look bad, than for him to take credit for things that everyone wants. Think about that for a second.

The most obvious solution is to elect people who don’t care about their own career, in politics or otherwise, and these people are mostly already billionaires or otherwise extremely wealthy and successful.

Only thing Trump the chump ever inspired is a bunch of trailer trash to think Trump University was a real school.

This is a big mistake. Too many of these billionaire guys have little knowledge and experience in policy, and have limited mental tools to understand political situations. Politics should be left to career politicians.

^^ Looks like someone needs a puppy to cuddle with.

I do not know about you, but I would prefer a Bill Gates in office compared to another GW Bush, Rick Perry, or Ted Cruz. There are certainly downsides to any choice, but nothing we have seen suggests that experience in politics results in better policy or greater efficacy. Obama was a novice when he went into office; he had zero knowledge of infrastructure, foreign relations, military, or any number of government issues. Trump will probably be the most efficacious President in the last 20 years, even if it is just due to the environment that he has inherited.

In any case, it’s for voters to decide who they want to elect. If anything, the recent election has proven that neither major party had a cohesive plan for better governance. Maybe someone outside the party is in fact the better choice.

Good for you, I’d prefer Ted Cruz and Bush over Bill Gates. There’s no evidence that less experience in politics results in better policy or efficacy.

This is why the left has the obvious answer in front of them. Shift to the middle, grab a guy like Bloomberg to run in 2020. He has the money so he is pushing his honest agenda (which is what everyone says of trump) and he has experience in Govt and knows people.

Good thing trolls can’t vote.

^I guess Obama wasn’t a good president then…he clearly had the least experience of any of his challengers

^ Bush Jr had great experience… in running a business into the ground. Is that better?

I think business experience and being a good public servant (actually wanting to serve the public) are orthogonal. Zero correlation.

(One exception, “career politician” should not be a thing. Your motivation should be to do something good, not get re-elected.)

This is analystforum, full of finance guys, so unsurprising people want business experience. But business and politics have completely different goals, and politics is a profession with its own skills.

It’s so much easier to run a business than it is to run government. Incompetent and lazy people getting dumped by the private sector become government’s liability.

which group is greenman part of?

GWB was in his second term as the Governor of Texas, one of the 3 largest states in the union. So yes, his experience at the time of his election as President far surpasses Obama’s resume at his presidential election.

And bullshit Bush spent a trillion dollars on a needless war and presided over the greatest market collapse since the the Great Depression. What a failure.

I like this guy, we need to see more of you.

Nice trolling Ohai. There’s a world of difference b/w Gates a genuinely empathetic and outwardly looking man and Drumf and the cronies he’s appointing.

You mean the market collapse that was set up by Clinton rolling back the Glass-Steagall Act and Barney Frank telling Fannie and Freddie to be sure every American could get a mortgage during a housing bubble?

I like this guy!

Anyway, if there was a referendum to hand the entire system over to Bill Belichick, I’d vote YES. There is no other human on the planet so focused on doing only what will create success.

“But, but, but…”. When that shit happens at the end of your eight years as POTUS you own it.