Bchad Farewell

I was fortunate enough to have known Bruce in this setting as well as in person during visits to New York. Bruce had an eloquence that I cannot achieve so I’ve opted to leave the explanation to him (below). I struggled today with how and when to discuss this and have chosen to balance completeness of information against the interests of this community, which he has positively impacted with his wit and insight over the past few years. At this stage, while lacking total closure, all signs indicate that Bruce took his own life earlier this morning.

Bchad was always an advocate of decency, class, sophistication and compassion so I appreciate in advance the restraint of both the moderators and members of this public community in keeping our responses in that spirit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bky0yrn3d3sphe/DearFriendsLetter.pdf

He was absolute class. He stood out for everything you mentioned, especially decency.

Far too good for this world.

RIP big man.

He will certainly be missed.

Praying for you big guy. We all know you showed many of us love. Love conquers all. See you in eternity buddy.

This can’t be…I am struggling to believe this is bchad. This is a terrible, terrible loss.

i am shocked and saddened. Bchad was a true gentleman. he was smart and thoughtful and full of wisdom.

i always loved reading his posts and views and especially his thoughts on life.

i felt like he was my friend even though i have never met him. you will be missed more than you can imagine.

I was just messing around on the computer getting ready for work and such. This absolutely floored me. I sunk back into my chair in silence for a while just processing. In my adult life I have experienced the the sudden passing of a few acquaintances. It is always shocking, but not necessarily emotional. In this case I actually find myself feeling teary. I did not even know the guy!

This forum is an odd place. It is a juxtaposition of the absurd, massive accumulated/ diverse knowledge, and original thinking that I have never before witnessed working together. Certain regulars have come to be the cornerstone that are able to make it all work. Bruce (as I now can call him) was rare in that he not only seemed to be a walking data base on a plethora of topics, but he also could mix fact and figures into a synthesis of unique theories. It was not only interesting, but made you want to learn more so you could be more like that. People that manage to inspire me are the ones I value most. Apparently, I can value them greatly enough to feel the loss even if I never met them. I’m sure he will be a phantom limb around here for the unforeseeable future.

#RIP

This is truly sad. I knew BChad only through his thoughtful and knowledgeable (and detailed!) posts but I came to respect his kindness and sense of justice.

2016 has been a bad year.

May G-d bless his soul.

I don’t know what to say.

I spoke with Bruce several times in conference calls with the moderators here, and always admired him.

This is a shock.

May God bless his soul, and those of his family and friends.

Just want to clarify:

Ever since BS’s post earlier, I’ve been following the situation on Facebook. (Bruce and I were FB friends, and chatted periodically. I never met him in person.) Nothing has been confirmed yet. As of now, he is simply missing, and the NYPD has been alerted.

However, based on everything I can see, it looks like BS is right.

Edit - 10 hours later, it has been confirmed

This is very sad. We had our differences in the past but I always respected his ability to maintain decency even in an otherwise heated debate. Over the past couple months I really started to like him (and I’m not just saying that) and over time I’ve come to better understand his point of view on certain things. I wish I could have let him know that. I also wish I could have been more sensitive to his point of view, because in light of this, he was obviously speaking from a personal experience that was not supportive of his wellbeing. I suppose the lesson is to make an effort to understand rather than dismiss.

I hope his close friends (and maybe even the good folks at AF) can see to it to honor him by following his example of decency.

I e-mailed Chad Sandstedt to see if he knew anything. He hadn’t heard the news or seen this thread, so in response to my e-mail he tried to phone Bruce several times; it went directly to voicemail.

If Chad does hear anything, I’ll make sure that he passes it along to the NYPD.

For now, everyone involved is in our fervent prayers.

:’(

crying

I can’t read the fucking link. Can somebody say what the fuck happened in not a cryptic way???

i think Bchad decided to live in the next world, for the reasons states in the note. I wish i knew his strugles.

Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. He will be missed dearly. We lost a good man.

In less cryptic words. It is a 4 page farewell letter to friends in true Bchad pragmatic yet personal form. He expresses a discontent for future prospects but also an appreciation for various joys in his life. There is of course much more too it but I won’t attempt to recreate it. It was obviously well thought out and written with clarity of mind.