Chappelle

Standup on Netflix. Good shit.

A tight, polished hour of jokes with a strong thematic core.

#NewYorkTimes

Solid special

Watched the first one last night and he was hilarious, will watch the second tonight. From what I heard its even sharper, very excited.

He rapes, but he saves

Chappelle is by far the most overrated comedian alive right up there with Louis CK (I mostly added the latter not to be accused of racism but he also is nothing special).

^sounds like an amy schumer fan

Nah. I have better taste.

Bill Burr

Sebastian Maniscalco

Mitch Hedberg

Greg Giraldo

George Carlin

Eddie Murphy

Nick Dipaolo

I’d even put the stand up comedy specials of Daniel Tosh somewhere in there.

Just watched the second episode. Good stuff. I need to go to more comedy shows.

Funny you mention that, Bill Burr regarding Chappelle in November: “Like watching him do that opening monologue on SNL, I mean just like the level of shit that he’s doing effortlessly, not even consciously the ups and downs the peaks and valleys and then the huge laughs and then the poignant moments and all of that… I would be happy if I could do in an hour and a half what he did in 8 minutes, that clinic that he put on…” Guest: “Yeah, I mean he’s amazing super talented guy.” Bill Bur: “Always was.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtFPuYKgUL8

CK is pretty funny (and I like his show too). I love his self-deprecating jokes about marriage, relationships, getting in shape, and raising kids. Carlin, Chapelle, Gabriel Iglesias (fluffy), and Russell Peters are some other favorites. Fluffy has some of the best impersonations.

lmao FT you just lost yourself a HoF spot with that. Nice post BS I was going to post that after I read that. I dont think Bill Burrs standup is particularly good, hes a hilarious person, his podcast is amazing, F is for Family is amazing, hes great on guest spots on stuff but I dont think his comedy comes across great during standup. He just has the best rants in comedy. Never seen anyone include Bill Burr in a list with Carlin and Murphy and not Chappelle.

Nick Dipaolo seriously? That guy i would be exceited about seeing in a local comedy club but Im not buying tickets for. hes funny but hardly anyone to be put on a list of great comedians. Same goes for Giraldo

Second special was great as well, however about 1/2 the material I had heard from his stand at Radio city in 2014 although the material was tighter and he worked the jokes a bit and they were better.

sebastian man-scape-alco is so annoying after about 5 minutes. may be that i grew up with a bunch of eye-talians or that fact that it feels like im watching a shitty sopranos parody

Yeah, a lot of good names on all of these lists but comedians I personally can’t stand: Sebastian Maniscalco, Gabriel Iglesias and Russell Peters.

Carlin makes some great points, but I’ve never really found him funny so much as just entertaining sometimes. In a full standup dose it gets tiresome.

I actually grew up across the street from Russell Peters. His early shit was good because it was so relatable based on cultural demographics of the area. His act hasn’t changes much since then, so it’s pretty tired.

Definitely agree about Iglesias and Carlin should be part of a ‘History of Getting Woke 101’ course.

fluffy is hilarious…btw anyone catch the jeff ross convict roast?

Bill Burr can admire who he wants in his personal life. I don’t really care about his judgment on others in the biz, or whether he’s into bestiality, licking Indian abs or eating snakes. I’m a fan of his professional work as a stand up comedian. His comedy specials “Why do I do this”, 'Let it go" and “You people are all the same” are pure gold. All that quote tells me is that he is either underestimating his work or is humble, or both. I’m not a fan of his podcasts though. Tried getting into it but he drags on and isn’t funny. He needs a script and structure.

I think we can all agree that there aren’t any great woman comedians as of yet.

The judgment of talented industry professionals regarding others in the biz > layman’s opinion.

Interesting most people I know think Bill Burrs podcast is better than his stand up. FT not sure if you have seen it but check out Ali Wong - Baby Cobra on Netflix, pretty funny woman. Going to see her next month pretty excited. Bill Burr also called out that being one of the best stand ups she has seen in a long time

To the rest Ali Wong has some jokes that are incredibly funny if you are asian/know asians & their families. Still the bulk of the material is fantastic regardless.

I disagree, I think it is better to get an idea on who are good fund managers based on asking random dudes on the street. Why ask “professionals” or “people with experience”