which is harder to pass? cutting corporating taxes or cutting health care benefits?

which is harder to pass? cutting corporating taxes or cutting health care benefits?

I actually thought cutting health care benefits would be much harder just cuz it negatively affects poor people. while cutting corporate taxes just positively affects rich people so why should other people care since it doesnt really affect them in absolute terms, just relative.

I’d say healthcare would be harder under this Republican regime. If they voted to cut healthcare to millions of people, there is a tangible “victim”, thus making the action politically negative. That’s why a lot of moderate Republicans didn’t want to go further with the bill. Cutting taxes doesn’t have a specific victim. In fact, it’s like a handout to most people. The deficit hawks will make some noise, but ultimately, lower taxes is still consistent with their core beliefs. It will be harder of course, now that they don’t have the savings from the healthcare overhaul.

Cutting benefits, because its nearly impossible to cut government power once its implemented, and because the amount of cuts to taxes being proposed is relatively small.

Are you sure? Any adjustments to deductions or implementation of things like a border adjustment tax clearly targets specific victims. Every industry will want to keep their deductions but get rid of all the others. From what I have heard in discussions with lobbyists is that different industries are already fighting over the details and legislation hasn’t even been proposed yet.

I don’t think BAT will happen. It’s too complicated, politically risky, and will have unpredictable results. Trump himself is opposed to the plan. Most likely, they will just cut tax rates. To answer your question, no it is just my opinion, not something I claim to predict with certainty.

Americans can’t even agree if healthcare is a right or a product/service for only those that can afford it. So HC is the more complex issue of the 2, but of course taxes are a very complex issue as well. I’m interested to hear his tax plan, needs to be more than just cutting the rates. I think he will need to incorporate infrastructure spending or one of the Left’s other agenda items. I’d like to see some re-appropriation of off-shore money, which tax could partially offset some of the infrastructure spend.

Most Democrats agree our corporate tax rate is too high. The only reason it hasn’t already passed is because they didn’t want to give a win to the previous administration. So, no, I don’t think cutting the corporate tax rate has anywhere near the same political consequence as cutting healthcare benefits.

That being said, the repubs aren’t going to just cut the corporate rate, they’re going to try for some comprehensive tax program which can be as difficult to pass depending on how ambitious it is…