Job Search

I was window shopping job openings today and noticed CFA jobline is down for an unspecified amount of time. What websites / methods have you guys found to be useful for finding a good signal to noise ratio on front office listings? Recruiters are generally out for me, I’ve never really been a big fan of working through them. I’m locked in here for a few years and liking my current gig, just wondering out of curiosity.

Albourne village, linkedin if you use pretty specific searches

What is “front office” nowadays? Anyway, I’d say seniority in each job matters just as much. For lower ranked spots, you need to target volume listings, like job boards. If the recruiter commission is small, it will not be as economical for them to manicure each candidate for each of those roles. Candidates will be rejected and ignored a lot. Perhaps this is what you mean by “noise”. However, there are more job openings in general at lower ranks.

However, as you become more experienced and more expensive, those jobs will sometimes not appear on websites; a recruiter will keep track of the small number of people who have the background for each position and will get in touch directly. There’s not much point in advertising something like “hedge fund manager with 15 years of experience”. Not only is it faster to just maintain a list of who actually has this job, but the people you want to hire are generally working and not trolling job listings.

In middle seniorities, it’s a blend of these two.

Makes sense. In the past I’d run into the issue that a lot of research and investment oriented roles weren’t on most job boards and wondered if there was a better one for this. My last offer a few months ago came through a recruiter and was the first time I’d found that process useful, so maybe I need to shift my views on that a bit. That being said, you may not see HF roles advertised (not really my space anyway), but PM and analyst roles at places like Wellington, DoubleLine and BlackRock still get listed on their sites so I was more wondering if there was a quality aggregator for those.

I’ve found that most of these jobs come from private and alumni networks. For the larger AM shops, you can typically find the analyst/PM roles on Indeed.

There’s more and more quality content on LNKD. With the data they are collecting on both employers and consumers alike, and of course with their merger with MSFT, they are becoming far more competitive and disintermediating the headhunters by the day.

Whenever someone says ‘disintermediating’, I listen. Well said. S2000 would be happy.

Agree with numi that LNKD is becoming ever more useful, but disagree about the headhunter disintermediation in general. Bad head hunters may be in trouble, but many on the “sales” side of headhunting ( not recruiters, but people who develop job orders within companies) use LNKD as a tool to become more efficient and increase volume. I know the space pretty well, and they are not hurting. If you need any recommendations or input feel free to PM.

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind when I start looking more seriously in the future.

fair point from brain_wash, I agree - LNKD in some sense just bifurcates the good headhunters from the bad (and there are a lot of them). plus it’s probably even more frustrating for the average or mediocre headhunter given the relative tight supply of jobs in front office finance right now…

So FYI I just got an email from CFAI that JobLine has been rebranded to CFA Institute Career Center.