my workout laundry stinks even after cleaning. What gives?

Any of you guys have this problem?

FFS nerdy, how many times to tell you it isnt ok to have a rub n tug in the gym

I find this commonly happens with older workout clothes. The trick is you can’t let it sit in a pile for a week before washing. This gives the bacteria time to grow in the fibers. Once that happens, it’s over. Use OxyClean with the wash and highest hot water setting, dry completely in dryer immediately or hang dry if the pieces call for that.

Yeah don’t throw them in a ball in a corner or leave in a gym bag overnight.

If you don’t wash that day, hang them on a towel rack to air out in the bathroom.

Then put them in a heavy wash and use a detergent with bleach.

might be time to get a new gym bag too, probably the environment where the bacteria cultivates

You can wash standard duffel style gym bags

Could be the fabric you’re using. There’s some synthetic exercise clothing that is really comfortable and breathes well, but after a few uses you can’t get the smell out. I prefer to go with plain old cotton.

Some BSDs in my office use those nice Tumi bags or leather duffel bags to carry gym stuff. This doesn’t seem like such a great idea, since I don’t think those are easy to clean.

yep its special exercise clothing. my cotton clothing smells great still. i’ll try the oxyclean solution on the next load.

also it doesnt seem practical to wash on a daily basis. i need to pile them up for at least a week. to make it worth.

this happens to my Gi all the time - just gotta get used to a funky smell.

I wash my Gi every night after use

WhAt iS a Gi??

dude piling up for a week is obviously gonna make it gross. also explore different materials for your workout clothing. some just react differently to your perspiration.

look at all you domestic goddesses.

You do your own laundry? hacksaw

you married? you gave up a 50% equity stake in yourself for laundry services

Hahaha that was my first thought. I’ve never seen a WC topic go like this.

I consider myself to be pretty socially progressive however my wife does 100% of the domestic duties. I don’t think I’ve even taken a plate through from the living room to the kitchen in quite a few years. On the flipside I’m totally in control of food as she hates choosing what to eat. We split the shopping and the food prep 50/50 though.

I think she has OCD actually. I challenged her once to sit for an hour and not open my gym bag when I came in from the gym and I’d take her for a weekend away to any destination of her choice and she lasted about 5 minutes.

She is also substantially richer than me.

Hopefully not your belt though.

Yeah, I wash my belt too. Whats wrong with that?