Texas bullet train

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/transportation/2017/06/23/full-speed-ahead-texas-bullet-train-lege-market-decide-now

Interestingly, the state claims it will not pay any money for this project (it will be funded privately). If so, this would be a big step forward for infrastructure development and will lead the way for other significant projects.

My wife told me about this a few months ago.

Basically it turns a one hour flight (or a four hour drive) into a 90 minute train ride, presumably with either lower prices or less hassle on-boarding.

Not necessarily saying that it’s a bad idea, but I think it would be a better idea between DC and NYC (with a stop in Philly). It seems like more people would be likely to use it up there. I think there would be limited demand between Dallas and Houston. (Just my .02)

Very true, but there are far too many roadblocks to getting true HSR in the NE corridor anytime soon. Very difficult local approvals (huge NIMBYism across local jurisdictions), political wrangling, union involvement, lawsuits, etc… All of that makes it financially unfeasible. Sad because the NE needs it and the infrastructure is embarrassingly poor vs. other countries.

Yes, such a project would be transformative on the East Coast, since many people already travel that area by train regularly. Any speed improvements would immediately lead to productivity increases and higher transit volume. In Texas, people would have to change their habits and create new activity to take advantage of the faster travel.

The issues on the East Coast, as mentioned above - too many jurisdictions, already built infrastructure that will have to be demolished, countless municipalities across any possible track, and labor market inefficiency, among other things. Even if it could be built, it would take much longer and will be more expensive than the Texas project.

i don’t know if it would be so bad. The Big Dig only missed its deadline by a decade and only like $5 billion over budget. And so far only one person I believe has been killed by falling concrete panels in the tunnel. And seawater only seeps into the tunnels very occasionally.

Yea but the Greenway is prettier than I-93.