That, gentlemen, is sportsmanship

Last Saturday (9/2/17), USC played Western Michigan at the Coliseum. It was a struggle for USC (favored by 26.5 points) at the beginning, but with just over 3 minutes left in the game they scored a touchdown; they were ahead by a score of 48 to 31.

USC called a time out.

No team calls a time out when they score a touchdown; the clock is stopped, so there’s no reason to do so.

USC’s coach talked to the referee, who talked to Western Michigan’s coach. USC was about to put in a very special player for the extra point.

Jake Olson joined the Trojans in 2015 as a long snapper: field goals and extra points.

Jake Olson has been blind since the age of 12, losing his sight to a rare form of cancer.

The snap was perfect, and USC’s kicker scored the extra point.

The sportsmanship was on the part of Western Michigan’s defense: they didn’t rush the kicker. Apparently they agreed that they wouldn’t risk bowling over the blind snapper in an attempt to block a kick that, honestly, didn’t matter.

Jake Olson was a long snapper for Orange Lutheran High School, which is about 8 miles from my home. The best man at my wedding attended Orange Lutheran.

This was the first time that Jake played in a real game.

USC and, especially, Western Michigan, should be given props galore for allowing this remarkable young man to display his talents to a stadium full of devoted fans.

That, gentlemen, is sportsmanship.

Now they are letting fish play in football games? What is next? Chickens? Bears?

I will admit that I am a USC hater (dumbest person I have ever worked with was a USC grad. And the med school Dean fiasco is disgraceful.) But this story is a winner. My wife read the LA Times accounting by Bill Plaske (sp?) and couldn’t make it all the way through it she was tearing up so much.

South Carolina Gamecocks

California Golden Bears

UCLA Bruins

Baylor Bears

Also: you’re a jerk.

Whom do you love? Notre Dame? Stanford? UCLA? Ohio State?

Amen. People at many universities have done stupid − some, really, really stupid − stuff.

As I say, the main props go to Western Michigan: they didn’t risk injuring this remarkable young man.

My grandfather was a professor at USC, first in line for the presidency when he retired. Therefore, I’m genetically predisposed to be a USC fan.

I heard about that yesterday. Nice uplifting news. Good for that dude and good for USC.

Uplifting story, but I’ve read/watched a more inspiriting one before.

#Rudy

Good story. Do competitors typically cooperate? Has there ever been an instance where they haven’t?

Justin Houston should hold the single season sack record, but instead Farve let Michael Strahan push him over. That was a horrible miscarriage of sportsmanship.

If they hadn’t agreed to cooperate, we would not have heard about it, because there would be no special play. So, I am sure there have been disagreements in the long history of sports, and especially when the publicity benefit is not as dramatic as this one.

[/quote]

Thank you - I really try to be.

Has there ever been a situation like this one where a competitor agreed to cooperate but defaulted?

im with ohai. i see no point in doing shit like this. but apparently we are wrong, since enough people felt good about it.

Come on… let him have his day.

I can recall many years ago in college basketball where the other team allowed an injured player to score a layup so she could break her team’s all-time scoring record. Think she played for UConn.

i see what you did there

Overall, it’s a nice, feel-goody story. But I don’t know that I like the idea in general. Letting somebody (who’s obviously unqualified) participate in a live play just so they can get a participation trophy?

Like I say, a good heartwarming story in the press, but…I don’t know.

and for the record - the 2006 Rose Bowl is still my favorite college football game of all time.

Yeah, but…the dude has no eyes. Not just blind. He’s eyeless. The game was out of reach. Why not? It’s pretty much the exact same thing the Make a Wish foundation does. Just done by a university.

In reality, this was probably a calculated publicity move to boost the team’s popularity, and by extension, future revenue. College sports, after all, are a multi million dollar industry. The organizers are geniuses at promoting almost religious levels of support from fans - they have to be. This is big business, not a small league.

As far ar Mr Olson is concerned - I can’t imagine how much work it must have taken a blind person to become a varsity football player at a championship level team. Like every person on that team, he deserves to be treated like an elite athlete. He would have eventually rotated into a play naturally. So, I don’t know how he feels about his first game appearance having been under special circumstances that patronize his disability.

Sorry to break up the group hug.

Well, at least with no eyes the skull fucking you just gave him didn’t hurt as much.