The GOAT thread

Week 1: (catches/yards/TD’s)

Gronk: 2-33-0

Witten: stay tuned

Brady and Gronk are on the same team, sir.

Brady is the greatest QB of all time, but he’s not the GOAT of the NFL. That goes to either Jim Brown or Jerry Rice.

^Lawrence Taylor?

I’d put him in the top 5 along with Reggie White.

Reggie White > JJ Watt? Or too early to tell?

STL can we have a ruling on the sheer # of gronk/witten threads? This one the only one for the season please

JJ could end his career as the greatest defensive player ever, but he’s got to do it longer. He’s probably already the greatest disaster relief fundraiser ever though.

I’ll allow it.

(Suck it Pats…though covering Gronk killed Eric Berry. RIP.)

I disagree. QBs get too much credit (or dinged) for Super Bowls. Manning and Rodgers are both better QBs than Brady.

Is it possible to show Matt Patricia a bit more during TV broadcasts? I mean the guy has managed to put together a top 5 defense all but 5 of the last 5 seasons and we barely ever get to see him.

^ Agree. Brady is also mostly a system QB. Manning or Rodgers would have had more super bowls than Brady if they had been playing for the Pats all these years.

I agree that QBs get too much credit/blame for Super Bowls and was firmly a Manning backer until last year, but Brady keeps winning no matter who they plug in around him. Belichick obviously plays a huge role as well and I doubt Brady would be the QB GOAT if he played for a different head coach, but we can’t separate that. Rodgers is ridiculously talented and his career rating and TD/Int ratio are insane, but he lost too many seasons sitting behind Favre to put up the career yards and TD numbers that get you into the GOAT conversation. If he can play another 6-7 seasons at the same level and add a ring or two, he could surpass Brady. Brees also doesn’t get anywhere near the amount of credit he deserves, but with only 1 ring he’ll never really be in the conversation.

I changed the name of the thread, because you fools hijacked it.

So this thread doesn’t count.

Do people even know what they mean when they say system QB? Manning had virtually the same “system” his entire career. The Patriots offense has changed time and time again during Brady’s career, and he’s never batted an eye.

In this hypothetical does Manning get to bring Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne with him to the Patriots too? Just curious.

Yeah–but it was HIS SYSTEM.

It means when the Chiefs broke Brady’s leg (or whatever) and Matt Cassel came in to lead them to a 11-5 season, anyone could do his job. Incidentally, because we broke Brady and Cassel looked good, the Chiefs picked him up the next season and he sucked.

That’s a system QB.

And that’s why I’ll always side with Manning over Brady. Manning was a player/coach.

I’ve brought up the following two things so many times it is actually painful to keep doing this at this point:

1. 11-5 after a 16-0 season is a 5 game drop in the NFL. Five games is massive. Going from 12-4 to 7-9, 8-8 to 3-13, etc. People seem to forget this. The Patriots were terrible that year, they just had a joke schedule. FACT.
  2. 2010 Matt Cassel (Chiefs QB) had a better season than 2008 Matt Cassel (Patriots QB). FACT.

I’m not arguing that Brady is more talented than Rodgers or Manning, but saying the latter two would have more Super Bowls if they were on the Patriots is weak conjecture at best. Manning had a litany of opportunites to succeed in the playoffs and routinely laid an egg (and the blame on everyone else). The two years he got rings were against Rex Grossman and in 2015 as a washed up loser with an all-world defense. He goes to the Patriots and suddenly has 6+ rings? I mean, sure? If rings are so overrated, why are we even having this argument anyway? Pure talent, Manning/Rodgers > Brady, I have no problem saying this.

Image result for that's just like your opinion man