Equifax

143m people potentially affected by the breach.

Class action suit.

Breach occurred July 29. Three execs sold $2m worth of stock on August 1 and 2.

According to expert internet sleuths, Equifax’s CSO is a music major. Interesting choice there.

Looks bad. Does Equifax survive? Should Equifax survive? What have you done to monitor/secure your credit?

The music background was a hilarious find.

I use a credit monitoring service, so nothing has changed on my end. I’m halfway hoping I’ll get free credit monitoring out of this from Equifax. But the service is asking for more information and I’m not so sure I want to trust these clowns with anymore data

I don’t think its a big deal he was a music major. He’s getting a bad rap.

The guy’s background is not as issue until he leaks 143 million people’s credit data… Then yes, you start to think that maybe they should have hired a professor in information security or something.

If it was something like music undergrad, then MBA or STEM master’s, I’d agree. It was music undergrad, then MFA in composition, plus somewhat dubious experience qualifications when she first got into corporate security. I don’t have a link to sources at the moment.

I don’t have any active monitoring, other than the free annual reports. I’m currently debating whether to freeze my reports or just set up fraud alerts. I don’t use credit often and am liable to forget to renew fraud alerts, so a freeze might be in my best interest.

Equifax has created a special security site, https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/, to check your potential impact and sign up for a free credit monitoring service. At the bottom of the site page there is a button to “Check Potential Impact”. Follow the instructions to check your impact and enroll into the free credit monitoring service if you’d like to do so. We understand that even if Equifax advises that you are not likely to have been affected by the breach, Equifax will still offer you the ability to sign up for the free credit monitoring for a year.

As a precaution, it may be prudent to check your existing credit accounts for suspicious transactions and pull your free credit reports from AnnualCreditReport.com to check for new accountsin your name. And keep watching.

#URwelcome

So, that website contains fine print that says if you use it to check whether you are affected, you waive eligibility for any class action lawsuits. Furthermore, people have reported different results when they use different devices to access the website; in other words, the results could just be randomized. Pretty sketchy overall.

^^^ It’s definitely BS - if anyone types ‘test’ as their name and ‘123456’ as the last 6 of their Social it says personal info has been impacted.

But it doesn’t impact the actual data breach or Equifax proper

This Equifax breach is probably fake news and part of one huge phishing attempt. When have you ever had to enter in the last 6 digits of your SS number? It’s always just the last 4.

edit: sheesh I’m starting to sound like Turd, that’s scary

That’s fine, take it with a grain of salt. Just sharing what my wife sent to me (…she’s been a practicing attorney for more than 10 years, now). Signed up for it myself last Friday, and was able to enroll in the program today – there is a delay between step 1 and step 2 in the process.

If I recall correctly, after I entered in my information, there was a generic auto-response saying that my personal information may have been impacted. Anyways, I’d rather take pre-cautionary steps to ensure that I don’t get dragged into a time-wasting rabbit hole than remain “eligible for a class action lawsuit” from which I’d get virtually nothing (…it all goes to the lawyers).

#goodluck

I was kidding, this guy is a joker. on another note, why are we drumming up all this hype? This story didn’t really strike a chord with me. just get #LifeLock. if they are going to fire this guy, they should just duet already

I always thought these huge repositories of personal data were stupidly risky. Equifax is bad, Lastpass would be worse

Has anyone frozen their credit with the three companies after this breach? I did that today. With a mortgage, a couple of credit cards and a new car lease I won’t need any additional credit for a while anyway.

Just a heads up on this though. The equifax website tells everyone that there is a possibility that their information has been affected. You can test it by making up fake names and social security numbers. After you find out your bad news, the company it then tries to get you sign up for TrustID Premier. For 1 year you get all kinds of protection for free; but then after you’re year you’re hit with a $20 a month charge. Additionally, your right to sue them was gone as soon as you agreed you their terms.

Knowing this, it almost seems like their up to something else.

Rofl the funny part is now you can buy people’s information online. Lol

Since Lastpass is encrypted locally, I do not think it is a risk

Serious question - do you think equifax goes to 0? I don’t think company can weather this

The research I read on this (for what it is worth) suggested that similar breaches didn’t cost much money (I saw estimates of like $2 - $5 per person). Does Equifax really require public trust? Seems like any risk is governmental in nature, but I don’t know the business very well.