New Headquarters for AMZN

Any thoughts as to where they’ll end up?  I’m thinking Pittsburgh as it’s close to major distribution centers in PA and has the requisite infrastructure and talent pool. 

Pittsburgh does not sound like a name that has a talent pool for anything 

What is lust without devotion, what are feelings without emotion?

I’m thinking Washington, DC or Boston

This space available.

Belinda wrote:

Carnegie Mellon is one of the top ranked IT schools in the world.

This space available.

For comp sci, Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh is very strong (probably just behind MIT and Stanford).

Where AMZN ends up will depend on the incentives provided by the municipality, into which I have no insight. 

It’s whatever, just make it count.

- kDot

Boston has the colleges for sure, but it’s expensive.  Bezos has a home in DC (I think the most expensive one actually) and he owns the Post so it’s possible. 

cleveland 

"You want a quote? Haven’t I written enough already???"

RIP

It’s gonna be Boston. Marrrrrdddy gonna make him an offer he cant refuse. 

higgmond wrote:

Belinda wrote:

Carnegie Mellon is one of the top ranked IT schools in the world.

I know, isnt that city at the forefront of self driving car research? 

It just sounds like a no mark derelict town with nothing going on. Dyu know what i mean?

Theyve got to change that name. Give it a bit more oomph

How far is pittsburgh to ny or nj driving? ?

Belinda wrote:

How far is pittsburgh to ny or nj driving? ?

Far, six of seven hours. Plus, it’s airport isn’t as good as DC or Boston.

I’d say somewhere in Philadelphia is the best candidate location on the East Coast. NY and Boston are far too expensive - Amazon probably wants to pay $100k a person in salary, and that won’t go far in either of those costly cities. Cultural issues would prevent Amazon from considering other East Coast cities like Atlanta or Charlotte.

Otherwise, they could go to Denver, Austin… maybe Chicago. However, these places are quite far from other major population areas and people would need to move there specially for Amazon, and not because they work in similar capacities in nearby locations.

“The aliens on Mars cloned Hillary Clinton.” - Turd Furgeson

i like how almost every major US article only discusses US cities. Amazon announced they are searching for a new NORTH American headquarters. clearly they are seriously considering Toronto and Vancouver if they are getting those two cities to make bids. in fact, it singles them out as top contenders as they could’ve easily said they are searching for a new US headquarters but by saying NORTH American headquarters, they must be seriously considering these cities.

also, as if Pittsburgh has a talent pool that is a tenth of what the Toronto-KW corridor pumps out every year. University of Waterloo grads are clearly the most sought after in the world if UW is a top 3 school for large silicon valley companies, it is infinity miles away and getting UW grads requires more effort and cost. Facebook hires more UW grads than Stanford grads and UW is 2600 miles away, Stanford is 2600 inches away.

there’s no better way to beat other tech companies than set up shop in Toronto or KW and basically gobble up all of the world’s top tech talent. plus, commercial real estate is way cheaper than all major US cities and there is plenty of room for the HQ size they require. i’d be very surprised if Toronto-KW is not selected. in my mind it is Boston, New York or Toronto. no reason to be anywhere else.

Canada, lol!

And wtf is uni of waterloo?

ohai wrote:

I’d say somewhere in Philadelphia is the best candidate location on the East Coast. NY and Boston are far too expensive - Amazon probably wants to pay $100k a person in salary, and that won’t go far in either of those costly cities. Cultural issues would prevent Amazon from considering other East Coast cities like Atlanta or Charlotte.

Otherwise, they could go to Denver, Austin… maybe Chicago. However, these places are quite far from other major population areas and people would need to move there specially for Amazon, and not because they work in similar capacities in nearby locations.

100 k doesnt go far in boston?

Some dude i know swore you could pick up a sweet 3br duplex for 400k not too far from the city.

That **** would be 1.5 m minimum in sydney 

Matt Likes Analysis wrote:

i like how almost every major US article only discusses US cities. Amazon announced they are searching for a new NORTH American headquarters. clearly they are seriously considering Toronto and Vancouver if they are getting those two cities to make bids. in fact, it singles them out as top contenders as they could’ve easily said they are searching for a new US headquarters but by saying NORTH American headquarters, they must be seriously considering these cities.

also, as if Pittsburgh has a talent pool that is a tenth of what the Toronto-KW corridor pumps out every year. University of Waterloo grads are clearly the most sought after in the world if UW is a top 3 school for large silicon valley companies, it is infinity miles away and getting UW grads requires more effort and cost. There are more UW grads at Facebook than there are Stanford grads and UW is 2600 miles away, Stanford is 2600 inches away.

there’s no better way to beat other tech companies than set up shop in Toronto or KW and basically gobble up all of the world’s top tech talent. plus, commercial real estate is way cheaper than all major US cities and there is plenty of room for the HQ size they require. i’d be very surprised if Toronto-KW is not selected. in my mind it is Boston, New York or Toronto. no reason to be anywhere else.

Toronto is a decent option, but Vancouver?  Really?  The last I checked, Vancouver was only about 150 miles from Seattle, where, well  you know, Amazon already has a headquarters.

This space available.

Matt’s homerism is coming thru lol

"You want a quote? Haven’t I written enough already???"

RIP

yeah. toronto is a much more likely option. i just threw vancouver out there. if vancouver is laughable in AMZN’s opinion than it using wording of “north american” is like a tractor beam on toronto.

ohai wrote:

Philly isn’t very business friendly.

This space available.

They will probably go somewhere in the east. The North has tons of talent, but the cost of living is too high, and the south has ton of room to build, and a very low cost of living. You could pay someone $100k and they would live like a king in the south.

I’m hoping they come to Tennessee… The cost of living is very low in TN. They could go to Memphis for the transportation benefits, low cost of living, tax incentives (go figure why Fedex, International Paper, Holiday Inn, Autozone,  and Mitsubishi are headquartered/were headquartered there) and the spaciousness. They could get away with paying people $85K and save $15K by not having to pay $100K. However, Memphis doesn’t have a large talent pool as many of the cities in the north. Nashville would be good too as it has better talent. Other good options would be Atlanta, Chicago, and Dallas.

Hmm, I think there are a lot of those Canadian graduates at Facebook because of large class size, and because they don’t want to work in Canada for some reason. It’s not that the company prefers to hire these Canadian graduates because they are better than US graduates. If Canadian cities have such appeal, why don’t a higher proportion of top Canadian graduates stay in the country?

Amazon could go to Toronto or Vancouver. I’ve seen these locations being discussed. However, having a Canadian headquarters to service a primarily US market would be inefficient. Only some of those employees will be engineers. The rest will be marketers, business planners, lawyers, and other people who need to be experienced in US business. Canada contributes a small fraction of Amazon’s revenue for now, and is not nearly as important as even some regional US markets.

Plus, it’s going to be hard to convince Harvard or Stanford’s business school class that they should move to Canada. Educated Canadians come here for school and jobs, not the other way around. Even if you can make the case that Canada has good engineering talent, on par with the US, which is doubtful to begin with, it’s harder to make the same argument for graduates across a wide range of business relevant disciplines, particularly when being well versed in US norms is a prerequisite.

Finally, Amazon might be sensitive to the political appearance of sending jobs to a different country. The White House holds trade and international taxes as somewhat high priorities, and Trump has even criticized Amazon specifically. On the other hand, if Amazon were to create thousands of high paying US jobs and rejuvenate a metro area, that would be positive for their public profile in the US.

None of these are deal breakers alone, but they will help discourage Amazon from choosing a Canadian location for their new headquarters, which is supposed to be equal to their main office in Seattle.

I’d love it if the new HQ was in Philly as that would be great for me financially. It really all comes down to the best deal. Toronto, Boston, NYC, DC and Philly can all supply the requisite tech talent. It will all come down to incentives and real estate. The main reason it may not be in Philly is because “OMG, gentrification bad!!” attitude will lead the city of offer fewer tax breaks and RE opportunity.

But seriously, why has no one mentioned Halifax?

It’s whatever, just make it count.

- kDot

umemphis has a pretty good tech program 

ohai wrote:

Plus, it’s going to be hard to convince Harvard or Stanford’s business school class that they should move to Canada. Educated Canadians come here for school and jobs, not the other way around. Even if you can make the case that Canada has good engineering talent, on par with the US, which is doubtful to begin with, it’s harder to make the same argument for graduates across a wide range of business relevant disciplines, particularly when being well versed in US norms is a prerequisite.

More like MIT or CalTech

For business school? MIT or Caltech are not nearly as good as those two other schools. Amazon is a huge corporation, not just a software company.

Tech > Sun > Plumber > Bschool (sorry ramos, youre still gonna be a billionaire)

There are obvious issues with Toronto. No way it is going thereno

I suspect that frankybarnes is Palantir.
-JBrowntown

Claim: Doxxing soapbox from liberal who begged AF to help remove online presence ironic.
TRUE
- FactCheck

Palantir ...resurfaced as frankybarnes. Sad!
-ohai

General consensus around the deal guys at my CRE firm think its going DC, but still wide open.

'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. And a donut with no hole, is a danish'

ohai wrote:

Hmm, I think there are a lot of those Canadian graduates at Facebook because of large class size, and because they don’t want to work in Canada for some reason. It’s not that the company prefers to hire these Canadian graduates because they are better than US graduates. If Canadian cities have such appeal, why don’t a higher proportion of top Canadian graduates stay in the country?

Amazon could go to Toronto or Vancouver. I’ve seen these locations being discussed. However, having a Canadian headquarters to service a primarily US market would be inefficient. Only some of those employees will be engineers. The rest will be marketers, business planners, lawyers, and other people who need to be experienced in US business. Canada contributes a small fraction of Amazon’s revenue for now, and is not nearly as important as even some regional US markets.

Finally, Amazon might be sensitive to the political appearance of sending jobs to a different country. The White House holds trade and international taxes as somewhat high priorities, and Trump has even criticized Amazon specifically. On the other hand, if Amazon were to create thousands of high paying US jobs and rejuvenate a metro area, that would be positive for their public profile in the US.

None of these are deal breakers alone, but they will help discourage Amazon from choosing a Canadian location for their new headquarters, which is supposed to be equal to their main office in Seattle.

good points and public perception could deter amazon. i think that is the only reason why they may not pick toronto but i doubt bezos is big on fleeting public perception.

other questions. why are they building an equal HQ to seattle? to perform the same function? or perhaps they are looking for an HQ to service non-US business, in which case a non-US location would be appropriate.

saying FB doesn’t prefer UW grads because there are lots of UW grads doesn’t make much sense. if UW grads sucked, they wouldn’t work at FB, nor would FB incur additional costs to accomodate UW grads. if they’re awesome, they will work at FB.

Canadian graduates move to the US because there aren’t enough high paying tech jobs in Canada. if you create the high paying tech jobs, they will stay. simple as that. AMZN has a talent problem. locating in toronto solves that talent problem as it is the one place in north america with a talent surplus. toronto is top of the list for solving the talent problem and i think talent is AMZN’s #2 issue with this initiative.

another factor, AMZN ceded its small business marketplace business to Toronto-KW based Shopify a few years ago. this shows that Toronto-KW is a perfect place for AMZN as it houses one of AMZN’s most direct competitors and employers of employees with skills that AMZN requires.  

you will not need to convince many US AMZN employees to immigrate to Canada as the talent pool already exists here. if they are creating an equal HQ then they are hiring mostly new talent.

the #1 issue will be real estate. toronto is top of the list for this as well. not only does toronto have the cheapest commercial real estate of the global cities, it has room. what AMZN is asking for is massive. there are no global cities with a strong talent pipeline near mass transit that can accommodate what AMZN is asking for… except toronto. toronto is an industrial town, like pittsburgh, but unlike pittsburgh it is now a global high finance and high tech hub. as a result, it has talent, it has an international airport and it has acres and acres of beautiful prime commercial real estate just a few minutes walk from union station. toronto’s waterfront has been waiting for a massive investment like AMZN’s for decades. no city except toronto can immediately accommodate tens of thousands of new AMZN employees.

Yayyywork wrote:

General consensus around the deal guys at my CRE firm think its going DC, but still wide open.

DC makes a ton of sense.  3 airports (including BWI); Bezos already has a house mansion there; Bezos also owns the Washington Post, easy access to government officials, loads of well regarded colleges/universities within a reasonable distance, and okay climate.

This space available.

higgmond wrote:

Yayyywork wrote:

DC makes a ton of sense.  3 airports (including BWI); Bezos already has a house mansion there; Bezos also owns the Washington Post, easy access to government officials, loads of well regarded colleges/universities within a reasonable distance, and okay climate.

does DC has enough contiguous room in the core for what AMZN is looking to build?