Interview Alibi

My firm has seen significant leadership turnover and I’m lining up interviews with one occurring next Thursday. What do most of you AFers say when you head out for an interview? To give a bit more detail it’s at noon and I’m planning on wearing my suit pants without the jacket.

i usually take the day off or “work from home”

I wear a suit and tie every day to avoid questions.

#LongGame

literally have an interview today… and it’s dress down day at work. Everyone else is in jeans and shirts, i’m in my suit.

Just gonna tell everyone that i stayed at my bro’s last night, that’s why im not changed.

My interview is at 1pm, so i’m just gonna tell my boss im heading to the doctors… will be back in a couple of hrs…

I wouldn’t lie. One of the questions we always used to ask interviewees is what did you tell your coworkers you are doing right now? If they said “going to doctors”, “conference”, “work lunch” or anything else resembling a lie, that was an automatic ding. The only real acceptable answers are “took a personal day” or “stepped out and plan to make up the hours later”.

that doesn’t look suspicious in the slightest mate.

When I first started my career I knew a guy who would do things like that around the start of the new compensation year. He didn’t even have interviews set up he just wanted to “create the illusion of an interview” to bump up his comp

+1

I wouldn’t ding them automatically but it would certainly be a negative against the candidate.

I say I’m going to Atlantic City, but that’s a bit geographically limited.

good feedback. thanks

Agreed. I say, I need to take care of some personal business. No one will ever ask you to explain.

coworkers will always joke “what, you got an interview?” and you either say yes or lie… should really just take a half day.

Aren’t they just going to lie about lying in their excuse?

Anyway, I don’t think it’s taboo about meeting competitors. If you are a desirable employee, it is natural that you will be headhunted. In fact, you can get useful information from other companies about how they do things. As you gain some seniority, you will engage in the interview as a knowledge peer. It is no longer like they give you a quiz like they would to entry level employees.

So, when I’m going to an “interview” nowadays, I just say I have something to do, and no one really cares about what I am specifically doing, nor should they. Sometimes, they know they don’t want to know. We cannot be competitive in the business without knowledge of what our competitors are doing, and everyone knows we get this through meeting those competitors.

There’s no way for me to say this without it sounding like I’m bragging, but…That sucks you guys work in an environment where you can’t just up and leave. If I need to leave for a couple hours or even the afternoon, I just tell people I’m leaving and to text me if they need anything.

I guess I’m just happy I work in a place that doesn’t keep tabs on (most of) their employees. I couldn’t stand a formal office environment.

^ Yeah, I wouldn’t even think to ask people what they told their co-workers when they left their office for an interview. I assume most people are adults and can come and go as they please as long as they get their work done.

Some of us are traders and thus nearly locked to our desk area during market hours.

+1

Yeah, I wasn’t thinking about traders. They’re off in their own world most of the time anyway.

And I’ll be taking care of business (every day) Taking care of business (every way)

Trading interviews are done at like 5pm or 6pm. Everyone is busy before that, including the interviewer.

I have to return some videotapes.