Man I love college (Hey!) And I love drinking (Hey!) I love women (Hey!) Pros and Cons of College?

interesting read with lots of nice stats. overall i disagree with his thesis. im with the non economic niggas. edumacation for all.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/01/whats-college-good-for/546590/

“The labor market doesn’t pay you for the useless subjects you master; it pays you for the preexisting traits you signal by mastering them.”

“The main effect is not better jobs or greater skill levels, but a credentialist arms race.”

“Most of the salary payoff for college comes from crossing the graduation finish line… Unless colleges delay job training until the very end, signaling is practically the only explanation.”

“But when we measure what the average college graduate recalls years later, the results are discouraging, to say the least.”

“Educational psychologists have discovered that much of our knowledge is “inert.” Students who excel on exams frequently fail to apply their knowledge to the real world.”

"Non-economists—also known as normal human beings—lean holistic: We can’t measure education’s social benefits solely with test scores or salary premiums. Instead we must ask ourselves what kind of society we want to live in—an educated one or an ignorant one? "

“Fifty years ago, college was a full-time job. The typical student spent 40 hours a week in class or studying. Effort has since collapsed across the board. “Full time” college students now average 27 hours of academic work a week—including just 14 hours spent studying.”

“What are students doing with their extra free time? Having fun. As Richard Arum and Josipa Roksa frostily remark in their 2011 book, Academically Adrift,”

“Arum and Roksa cite a study finding that students at one typical college spent 13 hours a week studying, 12 hours “socializing with friends,” 11 hours “using computers for fun,” eight hours working for pay, six hours watching TV, six hours exercising, five hours on “hobbies,” and three hours on “other forms of entertainment.” Grade inflation completes the idyllic package by shielding students from negative feedback. The average GPA is now 3.2.”

“Studying irrelevancies for the next four years will impress future employers and raise her income potential. If she tried to leap straight into her first white-collar job, insisting, “I have the right stuff to graduate, I just choose not to,” employers wouldn’t believe her. To unilaterally curtail your education is to relegate yourself to a lower-quality pool of workers. For the individual, college pays.”

“This does not mean, however, that higher education paves the way to general prosperity or social justice. When we look at countries around the world, a year of education appears to raise an individual’s income by 8 to 11 percent. By contrast, increasing education across a country’s population by an average of one year per person raises the national income by only 1 to 3 percent. In other words, education enriches individuals much more than it enriches nations.”

“My thesis, in a single sentence: Civilized societies revolve around education now, but there is a better—indeed, more civilized—way. If everyone had a college degree, the result would be not great jobs for all, but runaway credential inflation. Trying to spread success with education spreads education but not success.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYx7YG0RsFY

That party last night Was awfully crazy, I wish we taped itI danced my ass off And had this one girl completely nakedDrink my drink and smoke my weed But my good friends is all I needPass out at three, wake up at ten Go out to eat, then do it again Man, I love college

i feel like someone could create an AF topic generator that inserts random song lyrics and posts them. They could tie it to a “Nerdybot” account

I agree 80%. The fact is that the liberal arts system was designed 100 years ago as a finishing school for elites. All those fancy eating clubs at Princeton have nothing to do with academics. They are culture schools for rich kids. While the system has become more meritocratic over time, the basis of colleges as societal sorting channels still survives in some form.

There are exceptions of course. Knowledge in the form of things like software engineering, law, science, or even writing, result in real acquired skills. Most people will have difficulty obtaining these skills outside of a university. It also varies by person. The article above claims students spend, on average, 27 hours a week on academics. I spent much more than that - easily 60+ hours a week, frequent overnight work and no weekend breaks. Hopefully, a difference in employment or life outcomes arises from that.

I get the feeling that (on average) it doesnt matter what you do after getting in to college so long as you just stick with it.

^bartender

For some people, it surely doesn’t matter. For others, it matters immensely. I can tell you for a fact that having a 4.0 GPA from MIT or Stanford in engineering is going to open a lot of doors that are not available elsewhere. Even for smart people, this requires a lot of work - certainly much more than the ~30 hours a week in that article.

Other than that, consider your prospects for further education, like PhD, medical school, or law school. There is a distinct relationship between academic performance and admissions success to these programs. Even among elite undergraduates, there are tiers of success. Only the best ones can go to Harvard Medical School; the average ones cannot.

If your goal is just to be average, your marginal effort is less meaningful. However, it’s crazy to say there aren’t many tiers of people within each institution. Of course there are.

http://www.genderstudies.ucla.edu/content/major

Agreed. Whenever I see a Nerdy thread title like this I think about that kid trying too hard to be cool at a party.

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKDtQtgDxlE]

Is that Ric Flair?

I try so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter.

haha I’m kidding. I’m very cool. I pull bitches

will Ferrell from eastbound & down. watch this clip for enlightenment.

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hPp4dgmrc8&t=16s]

hahahaha

Me too, most of the time I spend for study, reading, writing papers, reviews, term papers, then eat, sleep, repeat)) The only thing that really bothers me, that labor market shifts fast, and I hope that all the time will not be just wasted for unnecessary knowledge, that probably will be outdated

lol i saw this video that shat on worthless majors. 9:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByYgkNryCS8