£70,000 Patek Philippe vs £4,000 Omega

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT9rvtlk_yc]

“Watchfinder & Co. presents: Let’s get straight to it—the Patek Philippe 5170P in my right hand is worth almost 20 times as much as the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch in my left. With the Omega clocking an RRP of just over £4,000, that places the 5170P at a whopping £73,000. While some of that cost gets you a platinum case and diamonds on the dial, it’s safe to say that most of it is spent on the bit you don’t often get to see—the calibre CH 29-535 PS movement. But with the Omega carrying a similar hand-wound manual chronograph calibre 1863 movement for a fraction of the price, what are you really getting when you spend all that extra money?”

The guy explains the features of a high end Patek Philippe chronograph that makes it different from an entry level watch like Omega Speedmaster. They have some other interesting videos that are also worth watching.

Interesting video.

I don’t think I would ever buy either though. I can’t imaging ever buying and wearing a watch without a day of the month indicator.

Meh my phone has a clock

These things are basically art or jewelry. In the same way that some people appreciate expensive paintings, they appreciate the many hours of workmanship that go into sculpting and polishing hundreds of tiny components that go into these watches. From a strictly utilitarian point of view, these complications obviously provide little value.

As you accumulate resources, you tend to become indifferent and desensitized to a wider range of stimuli. This is why people become interested in ridiculously refined products like this Patek Philippe watch, or over the top experiences like eating at expensive restaurants. It’s more difficult than most people anticipate to remain grounded as they progress into such a position, in my opinion.

I’m eccentric for sure and in a very small minority, maybe completely alone on this issue but I think it’s like buying a mansion or penthouse that doesn’t come with a bathroom. Not going to let some designer inconvenience me when I’m signing checks or going about my day, would annoy me too much.

would wear a bracelet or some other type of jewelry. Date is a must!!!

being rich is expensive

Well you would know a lot about that, pal, amirite?!?

lol zing

That was the most boring video on the internet.

Err well… Ask your mom… because she would know. Wait…

+1

I’ve seen a few of these… pretty good videos IMO.

The Patek isn’t worth several 100k’s… it’s like buying a piece of art or a big ass diamond. Ppl do it, because they can.

Looks like Patek is ripping off the Speedmaster. I assume the Omega was in the market first right? If so, it’s strange that such a premium brand like Patek would sell a product so similar to another well known watch line. It’s like Bentley coming out with a car that looks like a BMW.