Contrasting traditional intelligence analysis with game theory and "superforecasting" to predict future events

Note: Pardon if this is poorly written, I went over a couple times and made edits but its kinda shoddily put together.

I’ve been looking for prominent techniques, theories and methods of analysis recently and came across two which I think may be particularly useful for predicting future events. I thought some of the people here may find these interesting as well.

The first thing for me to note is that while I dont know much at all about intelligence analysis, I did hear multiple times that analysts are judged is by whether they followed a process for analysis, and that they care more about whether or not they stuck to the process, rather than if they came to the correct understanding or had the correct result. This was intuitively appealing to me, because of how often people underperform the market and underperform when trying to make deviations from algorithms. Apparently the analysts also give a lot of thought to cognitive and emotional biases and their effects on their processes. That reminded me a lot of the cfa program. The cia even published a book about the subject. They go in to a bunch of the biases and psychological phenomenon, including hindsight bias, how to structure problems, analytical techniques, the limits of remembering. I thought that was really cool and intend to look more into that later.

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/books-and-monographs/psychology-of-intelligence-analysis/PsychofIntelNew.pdf

I started thinking along these lines when was listening to a podcast on “superforecasting,” which is what the top 2% of predictors who participate in these geopolitical prediction events that are put on by this dude, Philip tetlock, are described as being. The basis of it was contrasted a bit by describing how previous intelligence analysis had been done. Apparently the “superforecasters” were on average something like 25% more accurate in their predictions than the intelligence analysts. Apparently they were consistently correct year after year as well, so it wasnt just a one off thing. At one point in this freakonomics interview, they start shitting on intelligence analysts for being vague, which I thought was interesting.

_

They also contrasted more contemporarily against president obama and how he viewed the chance of OBL being in the house in pakistan.

_

Apparently the “superforecasters” compete using an interesting set of tools thats been put together for them that includes weather prediction models. They make base rates based on historical events, then they adjust from that to fit the new circumstances and how significantly they diverge. They also calibrate their findings by saying shit like “we think there’s a 60% chance of this happening in this time period.”

_

This next part really interested me because I’m aware that what really makes a good investor is being right 55-60% of the time.

_

_

Apparently this method also has some similarities and differences from other prominent dudes making predictions.

Theres more to it but I thought you guys may be interested to listen to it. Now what apparently the academics like kahnemann think is most interesting about it is how their predictions apply to different time periods and how the probability of events occuring changes over time. Apparently these guys are particularly good with that while normal people predicting would have a more constant view of the probability of something happening over time.

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/how-to-be-less-terrible-at-predicting-the-future-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

Now another dude who I came across is this guy, Bruce bueno de mesquita. Apparently hes one of the predominant game theory dudes in the country at the moment. Apparently he uses his models to make strategies for the NIC. He’s apparently pretty good at it and apparently his models turned out to work out correctly 90% of the time, according to the cia, which was more accurate than their own analysts. He apparently did shit like coming up with the strategy that led to the creation of hamas, and he came up with an alternate conclusion about irans intentions re: building a nuke, which he presented to the NIC. He said that undergrads in his course were able to come up with the same conclusion using his model, and figure out the sort of shit that the intelligence folks figured just by going through the internet and using publicly available data. Apparently he presented the idea to the NIC and then got into an argument with one of the guys, and basically told him that they had the same data and that they were coming to divergent conclusions (the NIC said that they were predicting iran would have a bomb within 9 months). Apparently he asked the dude to think about why they were coming up with such divergent conclusions, and bruce thought it was because the dude had already come up with his belief and was using the available information to support it.

He also plotted out who has power over time in the countries. He’d do things like project who would have more power in the future and what their interests are and what those mean.

He goes through some interesting stories in this video.

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUPEUZy3UX8]

I’d love to hear anyone elses thoughts on the subject, whether yall have some guys/guys work you particularly find interesting, techniques, studies etc. Here are some relevant books by the dudes and one other which I read a long time ago and still go through that I really like because it uses graphs and shit instead of just being a bunch of writing.

Relevant books:

https://www.amazon.com/Predictioneers-Game-Brazen-Self-Interest-Future/dp/081297977X

https://www.amazon.com/Superforecasting-Science-Prediction-Philip-Tetlock/dp/0804136718

https://www.amazon.com/Thinkers-Toolkit-Powerful-Techniques-Problem/dp/0812928083

inb4 “if they were so great at predicting, theyd make a bunch of money on the stock markets”

Get out of here with your low conviction forecasting. The stock market will likely decline 6o percent!

This sort of behavioral science is pretty useful to read about, but you also need some kind of practical attitude to implement it in markets. A lot of these professors start themed funds or something to capitalize on their research, but most of them don’t do too well.

The cool thing about Tetlock work is that it was developed in a real world competition. Apparently his guys were better than futures markets on macro trades, but I don’t think they ever actually tried to make bets outside the intelligence framework. I really enjoyed the book

you miss 100% of the shots you never take, so that’s why im always down for shots.

^that’s game facts right there!

It would be! :grin:

The above is a summary of why the investment industry sucks at what they do. Intelligence outliers can’t explain why they are correct, because of the IQ gap, and intution. By forcing them into a robotic process, you eliminate outperformance from your superior analysts.

That’s not really true at all PA, abiding by rules in investing and not letting emotion get in the way shows discipline. It doesn’t mean the initial thesis are less valid. Someone’s got to come up with the process to begin with and analyze new securities according to it.

Which is current state, rule-following robots.

Nope. That is corporate process thinking.

You’re being obtuse and missing the point pa. I think you just want to be a nay sayer about everything, so I’m not going to take what youre saying seriously. These guys, bruce bueno de mesquita and philip tetlock, haven’t fully automated their processes, there still have to be humans involved to work with them and apply them and develop them further, so theres no reason to think that full automation would occur in securities analysis either.

I don’t think you can state the point?

And by the time they get done with that, the market opportunity will have passed. Inefficiencies happen NOW, you have to analyze them FAST, and have autonomy to make a move. The corporate process-obsessed losers ARE the market.

Snowflake, stop sending me mad PMs.

If you see an error in my logic [corporate process-obsession is the market’s game --> thus beating the market has to use what they miss], then you can point it out here, where it will be publicly dissected. You don’t get to cry “abuse” when you are wrong and silence people, I will continue to intrude on your safe space.

Reality is going to kick your ideas harder than me, you better toughen up kid! :bulb:

Thats really how you want to do this PA? Damn man you really do have a toxic personality. To thine own self be true though. I asked you politely to not respond in my threads because you’ve got a toxic, negative personality and all you seem to want to do is shit on people. I’m not mad, its just that you don’t contribute anything constructive or positive, you’re not making this place more welcoming for the free and open expression of ideas, and I don’t want that here. And its not just this thread, its all the threads you post to. What you’re showing here isn’t some “reality” that me or others need to get used to, its just showing that you’ve got this toxic personality and that you’re forcing yourself on me against my will after I asked you politely to stop. I just wanted to have a discussion about analytical techniques and game theory and this is the the result. I don’t know why you insist on making this public and making a bigger deal out of it than it needs to be. I’m really disappointed in how you’re handling yourself. And since I’ve got nothing to hide, this is my pm with PA. Note the civility on my side and the “blow me racist,” the childish name calling and general douchey, negative attitude on PA’s side, which is precisely why I want him to stay out of my threads.

https://imgur.com/a/7Geop

No, I’m here for analysis.

You’re the liberal “cry bully”. You can’t handle your threads getting “trolled” with facts, yet you troll other’s threads with zero substance culty nonsense. Boo hoo! :sob: