Breaking News: Millennials Continually Get Older

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/01/23/millennials-1-6-now-have-100-000-socked-away/1053803001/

Millennials are pushing back against the stereotype that their money management skills are lacking, as 16% now have savings of $100,000 or more, double the amount of young people who had socked away that much in 2015, according to a new Bank of America survey.

The perception that Millennials — Americans between the ages of 23 and 37 — lack savvy when it comes to saving for retirement, budgeting and setting up and sticking to a financial plan is showing signs of being outdated, noted the survey, made available exclusively to USA TODAY.

Despite many of these young Americans coming of age a decade ago during the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression and despite being saddled with high student loan debt, Millennials appear to be getting their financial lives in order and taking money matters more seriously.

Sixteen percent say they have $100,000 or more in savings, up from 8% in 2015. And nearly half (47%) have $15,000 socked away, up from 33% in 2015.

“Despite stereotypes of Millennials as being foolish with money and not long-term planners,” they are actually behaving “quite responsibly” when it comes to money, says Andrew Plepler, global head of environmental, social and governance at Bank of America, summarizing the findings of the bank’s 2018 Better Money Habits Millennial Report released Tuesday. “They deserve more credit. Millennials are actually doing better than you — and they — might think.”

About two of three (63%) of Millennials surveyed say they “are saving,” which is in line with 64% of Generation X but shy of 75% of Baby Boomers who set money aside.

More importantly, 54% of Millennials say they have a budget, with nearly three of four (73%) saying they stick to the budget each month. And another 57% say they have a “savings goal,” which is higher than the 42% of Gen Xers and Boomers who say they are saving with a goal in mind.

Those better habits are translating into more sizable account balances — and more financial security.

About 60% say they “feel financially secure.”

“Their financial habits have become more disciplined,” Plepler says. “They’ve built it into their lifestyles.”

Aside from saving for an emergency, which 64% said was a “top priority,” half (49%) said saving for retirement and a third (33%) said saving to buy a house were their top savings goals.

I reject the notion that a 37 year old is a millennial. I’m going to have to go with the top google answer and say it’s anyone born from 1982 on.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/03/here-is-when-each-generation-begins-and-ends-according-to-facts/359589/

37 is the new 25

half have 15k, yet 60% feel financially secure. lol how retardedly optimistic. anyways i cant be talking shit about just my people cuz most americans, all generations, dont have shit saved. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPfJnp1guPc

So you’re still thinking of me Just like I know you should I can not give you everything, you know I wish I couldI’m so high at the moment I’m so caught up in this Yeah, we’re just young, dumb and broke But we still got love to give

millennial song, sang by a person who isnt a millenial. KHALID 19 yo. net worth at 250k, but i feel this man will rack up millies by the end of the year. grats

Riveting theory, I’d like to see more research examining mathematical linkage between 20% stock market gains last year and rising millennial savings.

Did they only survey millennials who have graduated college and have a job? Only 24% of millennials have a college degree, so I don’t see how many millennials without college degrees can have $15K saved up, and how 16% of millennials have $100K saved up especially if they didn’t get a degree and get a nice job out of college.

^you got a link. i always thought our generation was over educated.

24%? Holy crap. I really do live in a bubble.

This is pretty hacksaw, to be honest, especially when considering Stallion/AbrahamIsaac’s net worth not including home equity.

^But one must include the equity they’ve built in a home, while also not counting the outstanding debt. That’s how you net worth.

To be honest, I can’t find the exact link I read because it was 1-2 years ago. It’s possible that it may be higher now. Pewresearch suggests that 40% of millennials ages 25-29 had a bachelors degree in 2016. Even if we make the assumption that 40% of all millennials have a degree, does the 16% only apply to millennials with college degrees or the whole millennial population?

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/05/16/todays-young-workers-are-more-likely-than-ever-to-have-a-bachelors-degree/

Research suggests that while the millennial generation is becoming the most educated generation, we also have the most college dropouts. 90% of millennials go to college right after school, but a significant amount dropout. About 56% graduate in less than 6 years.

https://www.greatschools.org/gk/articles/dropping-out-of-college-record-numbers/

One of the contributing reasons to savings going up is due to millennials moving back in with their parents, sharing an apartment with multiple people, or surprisingly, getting an RV so they can live and travel at the same time. It’s hard to save over $100K+ in your 20s when you live on your own and don’t have a front-office job.

Next time you go to starbucks, ask the barista what they went to university for.

When I worked at a golf course, one of the bartenders there majored in ceramics…

In college I worked at a pizza shop on weekends with a guy that recently graduated from an Ivy…Brown.

Emma Watson went to Brown and she hasn’t done anything since grade school.

All I know is Brown produced the great Lisa Loeb, who is famous for dating Dweezil Zappa and co-hosting the ahead-of-its-time cooking show Dweezil & Lisa. I’m two degrees of separation from an American icon/hero.

Hehe. :+1:

My forecast remains that millennials will experience very hard times (like my grandparents the greatest generation). USG default, WW3, investors fleeing to Asia as SPX flatlines. By the time they are 50 they might be wise. But I don’t see how their brains go from radical-left idealism, to the pragmatism necessary for survival?? I guess when reality punches you hard enough in the face, you have to grow up.

Watching with popcorn! :grin:

PA’s reports of americas death have been greatly exaggerated

There is a new charter out now. CFnwA. Chartered Financial Net Worth Analyst.

The levels are pretty hard though. That net worth calculation now takes up a whole CBOK. Cutting edge finance here.