"Puts on my robe and moderator hat: The_Edge version" - Everyone please read

I don’t know how to sticky something…I may not have that ability so I may just keep bumping this over the next few days to be sure everyone sees it.

I’ve received more than a few complaints about The_Edge over the last several weeks. Two have included threats of doxxing which, I hope you all know, is completely unacceptable and the quickest way to get banned. Even without the doxxing accusations, he’s done enough to deserve (another) ban, but he’s been banned at least four times so that’s obviously not an effective solution. He’ll just pop back up and it’ll take us a few weeks to figure out who he is and it’ll start all over.

So what to do? As you all know, I’ve been going around deleting his comments and threads as I see them, but that hasn’t slowed him down too much. The next step involves you all. I need your help. Please stop feeding the trolls…or in this case just The_Edge. (And, yes, I get the irony that he’s getting his own thread and I’m making him the center of attention. I’m sure this will provide him with fapping material for days to come.)

How am I going to enforce my “do not feed The_Edge” request unofficial rule? That’s tough because aside from him, I don’t have a problem with anyone here and I don’t want to do anything severe. And the 4-6 of you that do regularly reply to him are all good dudes so my hope is you’ll simply comply and we can go about our business. However, if you do choose to keep engaging with this trilobite you will receive a PM from me asking you - again - to please stop replying to him. If you continue to do so, perhaps a short break from AF is in order. Maybe it’s a 3 day suspension. Maybe a week. Who knows? The bottom line is we as a community have to do a better job of ignoring trolls. Then maybe I won’t have to make threads like this anymore…

tl;dr - The_Edge is dead to AF. Do not reply to his threads or comments. If you do, you may need to take a break from AF for a few days.

God I hate having to do this s h it. Please guys, just help me out here. Feedback is welcome either here or PM me if you feel like it. I’m open to suggestions.

Just want to make sure this is understood correctly.

New Rule: “Do not reply to the troll I refuse or cannot ban, suspend, or prevent from creating threads or you will be suspended?”

Got it. Totally makes sense.

edit: For the record I just wanted to troll him with stupid videos until he realized no one cared about what he had to say but I’ll refrain.

^Yeah, pretty much. If you have a better solution I’m all ears. I can’t ban or suspend atush. He’ll just pop back up. I have faith that the sane people of this board would react like adults and take their suspension (if it even came to that) and learn to modify their behavior. Unfortunately, the only tools available to me are negative reinforcement. Feeding the trolls should be against the rules, but that’s hard to define as some trolls are good and some are malicious. Hard to find the line. The_Edge clearly adds no value and should not be encouraged.

The other option is I take a completely hands off approach and just let this crazy MFer post his nonsensical rants. I’d actually prefer that, but the doxxing accusations are troubling. (For the record, no one has actually provided me proof he has threatened to doxx them though…)

I’d really prefer a voting system. Then I could retire and live off my sweet AF pension.

You guys tell me. Do you want me to be more strict with this dingbat (which involves some effort by the whole community) or do you want me to let him run wild?

The edge my dawg. Let him do his thang

i will voluntarily accept this request to limit my freedom for the good of the water cooler

a coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once. down with the edge

I like the edge.

I was going to comment about the edge being one of your alter egos and part of your anarchist plot to bring down the water cooler.

The Edge is even worse than Black Swan. :-1:

bs is good people. i wish palantir would come back

just get another moderator to delete his posts - someone who is even more active than you. suspending people who actually contribute to the forum just makes the Edge more powerful. He’ll post edgier and more baity threads to try to poke an AF member into saying something.

I don’t understand the doxxing thing. He’s threatening people he’ll dox them? In PMs?

I’ve had three people PM me saying he’s found out who they are IRL and threatened to post their public info. But, they’ve provided either no proof or pointed to very flimsy comments made on here. He’s never actually doxxed anyone, to my knowledge. And, to be very frank, the three people that have asked me to ban him all have their own shady past, are also trolls, and/or may actually be the same person using three accounts. So, while I take doxxing very seriously, I’m actually inclined (I can’t believe I’m going to write this) to give the_edge the benefit of the doubt…for now. That still doesn’t mean the_edge shouldn’t be banned. He’s done plenty to deserve it. This is more about finding other ways, given the very limited tools available to us, to get him to stop bothering us. Deleting his threads/comments and completely ignoring him are the best answers I’ve been able to come up with.

Or, maybe I take my own advice and just ignore him. Stop deleting his stuff and see where it goes. Or ban him again and again and again…

Just keep on banning his different accounts. BB bans people all the time and it works out for them. Fwiw, I find him harmless and mildly amusing.

lol how the fuck did he manage that? I’m skeptical of this.

pretty easy apparently

https://www.reddit.com/r/HowToHack/comments/3ssyyd/how_i_dox/

Thats an interesting thread but it would presume that he has access to the ip logs from AF (I dont think people are sending their names, addresses, email addresses, skype or facebook or phone numbers to the edge)

It makes sense that you could relatively easily identify users on AF, especially long-term user accounts. People are relatively careless with their personal information here and it is already a forum restricted to a small easily identifiable population. I say even threatening to dox, especially via PM, should be a bannable offense

Sweep, excellent Bloodninja reference.

It absolutely is, but when I ask if it’s okay for Chad to look into their PMs (I don’t have that ability…yet {jk, I don’t want to read whatever gross stuff you guys send each other}) they never respond.

I fear that by banning atush, you’ll just unleash him to torment people in other places, like banishing the Demogorgon in Baldur’s Gate 2 doomed other realms to its terror.