Trump team weighs nationalizing 5G

https://www.axios.com/trump-team-debates-nationalizing-5g-network-f1e92a49-60f2-4e3e-acd4-f3eb03d910ff.html

this interested me quite a bit - havent gotten to read through all sides but in theory i am for government control of infrastructure as the broadband internet being owned by companies has been a disappointment at best and criminal at worst when you look at how some of the larger players took tax payer funds and never delivered.

using national security to sell it to the right is a slick move, now have the dems sell it to their base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHfsk8iL_C0

#MAGA

Nothing new here just more of the same Trump sheep following their dear leader. He’s in favor of banning net neutrality and they’re free market purist. Government takeover of a major wireless platform, no problem, practical solution to the growing China threat.

Idol worship has always been a strange thing, but when you’re idol is a guy like Trump it just boggles the mind.

I don’t get it. If Obama had proposed this, you’d be all over it. Plus, the FCC (and its prominently unpopular among internet types Chairman) seem to be strongly opposed to this plan. If anything, this would increase net neutrality, by moving control away from private internet service providers.

Not really the point. Nationalizing 5G and ending net neutrality are complete opposite, but the average Trump supporter will defend each.

And, yes, I could probably support something along these lines (although I’m sure the Trump administration would mess it up somehow) not because Obama proposed because it makes sense. How do you think Trump supporters would react if Obama planned to nationalize a major US industry.

Whereas otherwise I’d be cautiously optimistic, I’m more just cautious about this.

im against nationalization. just to clarify, the maga was a sarcastic joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyAmqy8F8WE

funny stuff.

if you want to make more money in govt, you increase the tax, not fucking nationalize the headache and let a bureaucrat run it to the ground.

The normal mantra of government inefficiency is exactly that a mantra and it will be interesting to see how republicans couch this. There are many programs that the state simply does better than any profit driven entity. That said, the more important implication is the ability to control and monitor the flow of information by the state. This smacks of totalitarianism, it is right out of the Putin playbook.

actually there was an article maybe a yr ago that compared trump to that italian leader with all the sexy ladies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvio_Berlusconi

^ very similar. I remember reading about that guy and thinking what a backward ass place Italy must be to elect someone like that. I then chalked it up to some weird mechanisms within a Parliamentary system. My liberal elite mindset still fully intact knowing that the US would never elect someone like that…

Igor: But the govt already monitors the flow of information.

When you think about it, it’s pretty ok to be monitored by the only government that actually cares about your freedom :bulb:

agreed which is why i am interested in this move. If trump makes this move id applaud it as long as proper safeguards were in place. To me in theory at least the infrastructure itself being owned by the people is a good thing - will open up competition amongst providers. 5g/wifi solutions seem more practical than broadband anyway as laying pipe (lolllll) is expensive and wireless continues to get more powerful & is easier to maintain.

i assume the govt (dem or repub) really would just prefer this instead of having to strong arm companies into letting them have access to the data/force back doors in and instead they will be able to build it in a way that lets them spy on us more.

If you think your ISP, the NSA, and some sweaty Eastern European dude in a basement server farm littered with liter soda bottles full of dark, pungent urine don’t already know all of your niche fetishes, you are sadly mistaken my friend. The only questions are when Trump owns the internet, who will release your fetish information and for what purpose? Sell it to advertisers? Fine, I can set up more email filters. Sell it to my pasty white wife so she finds out I have a thing for melanated chicks? I think she’s heard stories of my past, but her being confronted with it head-on would be the end of me…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/03/29/what-to-expect-now-that-internet-providers-can-collect-and-sell-your-web-browser-history/

“Today in the United States we have somewhere close to four or five thousand data points on every individual … So we model the personality of every adult across the United States, some 230 million people.”

— Alexander Nix (Chief Executive, Cambridge Analytica), October 2016.[1]

Some companies have ten times that. Apparently there are tons I’d thousands of companies doing this in the US. So your privacy is gone if you leave any trail dude.

is this working efficiently somewhere in the world already?