Safety Squat Bar

Any gym rats here ever use one?

Ouch.

Improper technique, Brosef?

Don’t think that’s it.

With a straight bar, the bar sits on your back, and pushes your shoulders forward, so you use your back a lot.

With a SSB, it distributes the weight differently across your shoulders, so you use your back less, and your legs more.

It’s like the difference between low bar and high bar back squat. High bar is much more quad dominant, which is why it is typically used for olympic lifting and low bar (which allows you to lift more, usually) is used for strongman.

Front squats are probably more quad dominant than either, but people are usually more limited by flexibility/core strength in the front squat.

You need a big back greenie so when you get those oil massages the masseuse will be turned on by your big blubber

I have a SSB in my home gym - use it quite often as ancillary to BS/FS. it’ll def tear up your legs your first few times using it, should work your core a lot too.

aaah/… so that’s what they’re called. I’ve seen them used on insta… .always wanted to try one out. Might try and get my gym to buy one.

Question, what’s AF’s take on weighted lunges? I’ve been doing them with 150 lbs added, 5x5 on each leg, working up to 200 lbs added. Is this hacksaw?

Single leg work is great. Check out Bulgarian split squats too, as the are similar but with greater range of motion. You can also just hold dumbbells for safety since balance can be tricky at first.

You can do bulgarian split squat on the smith machine - makes it easier to balance. My balance is hacksaw.

I’m doing split squats in my workouts atm

If you mean you should squat in a cage, i always do, as i go for max rep and on last rep might not come out of squat and just drop it back. But again, i have not worked out in so long

I used one for the first time about a month ago just to see and agree. Still felt an ache around the shoulder/back area for a few days later. Even worse, wasn’t even squatting with that much weight, I think it was maybe 225? I’m sticking with the regular bar…

lunges all good bro. heres a few more mix ups for the crew

1-sided deadlifts (will rip up your obliques)

Overhead squats/lunges

1 arm dumbell overhead squat

I’m a broken record with this but at las stones are by and far the best for everything (even cognitive enhancements)

I was home with a sick child yesterday and while he napped I did 10 rounds of 2 over the shoulders with a 200 lb sand bag followed by 20 double unders. I think my technique with the bag actually got a lot better with the elevated heart rate. Really made me think about hurling that thing up smoothly and quickly.

I use straight bar and ass to grass…on a side note I ordered Rogue squat racks, 690 MC, for my home gym in the basement…anyone got a home gym?

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-rigs-racks/power-racks