Seeking for Financial Advisor

some of you might know that i recently moved to scarsdale, ny. commute sucks but love the house and space…

To “connect” with the neighborhood and out of necessity, i am seeking for financial advisors or insurance agents or client portfolio managers or whatever they called themselves…Need someone for additional term life, umbrella policy, 529 plan for the kid. The bulk of our investments are with US Trust, part of BOA and small amount in TD Ameritrade…I am not opening 529 with US Trust because I want to do business with a local here to “connect”…I will not be moving any money out of US Trust but might move some money out of TD to the new advisor and shut down TD.

Without going into details…I need your advice on the following:

Should I go with an insurance agent from say New York Life or Allstate who is local of course for insurance related items and just open up a 529 plan with TD?

OR go with a financial advisor who does insurance and investments in one house and go with them?

OR since 529 plan is simple should I open 529 and all insurance related items with a guy from New York Life or Allstate?

I KNOW A GUY!!!

Well, he lives in Texas, but he has clients worldwide.

Actually, he only has clients in Texas.

Actually, he’s just getting started, but he’d love to help!!!

PM me for his name.

In all seriousness,

I’d find an independent guy and go with them. Don’t go with a wirehouse or insurance company.

(edit - and, in my humble opnion, if they’re also a CPA, that’s your way to go. But then again, I am somewhat biased.)

I have a CPA for taxes but you mean a financial advisor who is also a CPA but who does not give legal tax advice?

Why fo with independent guy? Independent guy who does everything like insurance and 529 plans - investments? Don’t they have minimum limits very similar to that of say US Trust or JPM Private Wealth (not Chase Wealth)? I have no plans to move money out of my US Trust account.

When you have a CPA who is also running your investments, you get a situation where 2+2>4.

That is, at the intersection of tax + investments, a lot of money can be lost (or gained) really quickly by not understanding the tax effects of any particular transaction. EG - I counseled an elderly couple not long ago who have been buying Exxon stock for ever and ever. They had about $900k in Exxon stock, and another $100k in cash. (That’s all they had, other than a house a personal effects.) He was 94 and she was 88.

Random Financial Advisor #4 advised them to sell the shares and diversify to protect against loss. Since the stock was only registered in his name, only his name was going on the account. Thank God they came to see me.

I asked them what their basis was. “Our what?” That’s how much you paid for the stock. “We don’t know.” Well, when did you buy it? “We’ve been buying it our whole lives.” Whose name is on the account? “It’s held directly with Exxon.” Who’s the beneficiary on the account? “Don’t know.”

It turns out that they had a basis of $230k. Had they sold the stock, they would have incurred tax on the capital gains. Plus, then their Social Security would have become taxable. Plus, their pension would have become taxable. Plus, their Exxon dividends would have become taxable. Plus, their interest income would have been taxable. Plus, they would have had no medical deduction for the year (due to the 7.5% limitation). Plus, their other itemized deductions and exemptions would have been limited. Plus, they would have owed NIIT tax. Total tax bill = $130,000.

I told them, “Let’s sell the two tax lots with the biggest basis. We can reduce your exposure to Exxon by about $300k, and only pay about $3k in tax. We’ll do that this year, then we’ll peel off a little more next year, as much as we can without incurring taxes (or at least not very much of them). Meanwhile, we’ll put the $300k of proceeds in a variable annuity with a guaranteed death benefit. That way, you’re guaranteed to not lose money, because your principal is guaranteed by the insurance company.”

“Oh–and since we’re transferring the money to a brokerage account, then this will skip probate. And we’ll put the account in both your names, so the other person automatically takes control at death, without it having to go through the court. And when either one of you dies, you get an automatic step-up in basis, so you can then sell the whole thing with zero taxes.”

(Just a few reasons why you should see a CPA for investment advice.)

You can always bake some cookies to “connect” to the neighborhood and then just be your own “guy”

Thanks for the explanation… on the elderly couple…what did you do, min tax method tax lot? As I mentioned above, my main investments are with US Trust…they have a whole team of estate lawyers, tax lawyers, tax consultants, and investment advisors along with couple “concierge” services people.

I guess the independent advisor with CPA you mentioned above is similar to the services I receive with US Trust except that the company is a lot smaller which may be a good thing…because at US Trust I am one of several thousand clients and there are several clients with hundreds of millions but with an advisory shop I may be one of couple hundred and might be 10th biggest (just throwing this number) client…

yeah we did that with our immediate neighbors.

to be fair. im not a cpa and i woulda advised the same. tax minimization, avoiding probate, and diversification.

i do not agree wit hthe annuity though.

Tax lots are sold on the “hghest-in, first-out” method. So I researched when they purchased the stock, and used the highest closing price as the basis. They had two high-basis tax lots–one purchased in 2010, and one in 2015. By selling them, we can get $300k in proceeds and only pay $3k in tax.

And I have heard a lot of people say "I have a team of lawyers, accountants, advisors, and “concierge” people. But when was the last time you met with any of them except “your very own personal consultant”? Have you ever actually received any tax advice or estate planning? One of my third-party money managers tried that crap. “For an extra %AUM fee, we can provide your client with a lot of advice before they go see the lawyer. That way they’re not hit with as many billable hours by the lawyer.” Sounds like a load of crap to me.

When was the last time your portfolio manager ever got in the same room as your CPA? Or your lawyer? Maybe you do have enough money to mean something to US Trust. But in my experience, it’s better to trust your own lawyer–you know, the one that actually takes the time to talk to you and send you a bill.

In New York the 529 is basically run through the state. Just google nysaves and set it up that way. I think the contributions are deducted from NY income and the gains are tax free from NY and Fed. Could be wrong though.

well Greenman, hate to admit it…I have never used their concierge and meet with the PM who is the lead advisor of his team once a year. We set up a family trust but it was really them opening up the account and wiring the money…but it was my CPA and my outside estate planning attorney who did the bulk of the work. My wife is usually the wise and more rational between the two and asked me why do we have this “PM” from US Trust along with his 5 minions in the meeting rooms for??..Empty suits.

So, you’re saying it is probably better to go to an independent all in one house advisory shop who can give legal tax advice and has fiduciary duty? Is it safe to give so much - discretion over investments, 529, family trust and estate planning - to just one shop? What’s the compliance and audit like for these guys?

^Yeah, you’re probably paying an extra 50 bps just for their “estate planning advice”, which basically amounts to nothing. Sure–they’ll give you advice…on the investments that they manage. But when was the last time they asked you whether you had a will, an irrevocable living trust, an estate tax problem, a medical POA, etc? (Probably never.)

I don’t give legal advice, and I doubt you’d find many financial advisors (even independent ones) who do. But anybody who’s a CPA or CFP will have a fiduciary duty, and you can discuss your estate plans with them, so most of the preliminary work is done before the lawyer starts charging $400/hr to do it.

And is it safe to give so much discretion over all this stuff to just one person? Well, when you go to the doctor, do you just tell him about half of your symptoms? Why would you particularly prefer to have more than one shop? If you have more than one, it becomes incumbent upon you to manage the different advisors and to understand the asset values and tax treatments associated with each investment. And TBH–if you could interpret, analyze, synthesize, and apply all of the different concepts, you would do it yourself. But you don’t.

if your trust ppl are not wearing short sleeve button down shirts they are not legit.

GMAN ftw!!!

I have no idea if what you said is correct but you sound confident and used a lot of words that I’ve heard before and it makes you sound smart so I’m going to say +1 gman

So…should I PM you my information yet?

edit - Don’t you live in NYC? I just realized that if I get a client somewhere in the Northeast, then all my trip up there would be “business trips” and be tax deductible.

1099 income FTW!!!

Financial advisor checklist

• Short sleeve button up.
  • Pees in sink.
  • Grills a mean steak.
  • Drinks black coffee.
  • CFA/CPA.
  • Horrifically biased views about football players

I would contact you but this whole process and conversation started because I want to find someone local.

I still work in the city but moved out to Scarsdale last month.

Are you a CPA as well?

If you ever start a ponzi scheme hmu, and let me know before it starts to implode so I can cash out like PA would recommend