Why you can't say "I'm a CFA"

Well, this technically discusses the CFP, but I’m sure the CFA is the same way.

@S2000, feel free to post this on the other boards, too.

https://www.kitces.com/blog/cfp-professional-trademark-license-noun-adjective-cfp-board-certification/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=cfp-professional-trademark-license-noun-adjective-cfp-board-certification&utm_source=Nerd’s+Eye+View+|+Kitces.com&utm_campaign=9484e2b0d3-NEV_MAILCHIMP_LIST&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4c81298299-9484e2b0d3-57145829

That’s exactly the situation with the CFA designation: if they let it be used as a noun, they risk losing their trademark.

I’m starting a Level II review course this Saturday, and when I cover Ethics I always mention this: using “CFA” as a noun has nothing to do with ethics; it has everything to do with copyright/trademark.

(I learned this in 2004 when I phoned CFA Institute – AIMR at that time – to ask why we couldn’t use what is clearly a noun phrase as a noun. The nice woman at AIMR said that they didn’t want to lose their copyright.)

#TheMoreYouKnow

seems slightly unethical to bash into our heads the “ethical” way to use the designation, while having ulterior motives that push their own interests. i understand if they had a large legal battle over it and lost it could harm all charterholders so im sure thats the rationale but it still just feels wrong