New Toyota Supra

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/toyota-gr-supra-racing-concept-the-supra-is-officially-back-news

https://jalopnik.com/how-much-will-the-new-toyota-supra-cost-1823560574

Finally, we get pictures… well of the race car version. I think this is going to be an instant classic. People are bored of just all sorts of Porsche Boxsters for that price.

Toyota GR Supra Racing Concept: The Supra Is Officially Back!

wow what a beauty

supra was always a beauty glad to see they could channel that in the race version at least - hopefully they dont butcher it for the consumer market

It will probably be a real sports car this time, and hopefully not another soft car with broader appeal. BMW, who will share this car’s platform for the Z4, has many luxury coupes and sedans, above and below the likely price range for this car. The previous Z4 was a missed opportunity. It is a beautiful car, but dynamically underperformed almost all its competitors. This time, both BMW and Toyota have a point to make, which is that they can still make sports cars and have not become makers of boring cars. Few people buy cars like this, but when your company is large enough, you can take on pet projects as marketing for your broader product set.

Needs more NOS Dom

hit the nail on the head - its the aspirational car for the family man, the car someone buys an older used model of when they were young and loved so they continued buying the brand as an adult, then rebuys again when the kids are out of the house

yeah very few people buy these cars…and even fewer people take it on the track…You and I buy this car or a lambo, we will not have fun in the track. Simply put these cars have limits that are way beyond our skills and talent so we never get to push the car therefore never hear the car revving hard into redline coming out of the corner, pushing max Gs and tires screaming for traction…Instead we just stroll the corner at 80mph still sweating profusely because you see a 5 ft concrete barrier just 30 ft from the track…but knowing you’re no where near the car’s limits quickly disappoints your ego. This is why most of the lambo or ferrari track days end with massive disappointments and occasionally one crash.

I too was the one who was deeply disappointed (wish i could say it was a track day for lambo or ferrari but nope it was audi day) as I imagined myself taking corners at 110mph with ever so slight 4 wheel drifts and hitting the straight aways at 145 before slamming on my brakes as hard as i can in preparation of the s curve…no, instead i drove around at 60 mph on corners mainly focusing on hitting them apexes. I then returned to autocross events for a few years to build confidence and skills. Then sold that car for a land cruiser haha. Someday I will be back on the track.

well this post was whole lot of nothing but still relevant to the car world.

Car is decidedly meh, using the Z4’s I-6 turbo (engineered BMW plants typically not as easily improved through bolt ons and tuning) and pricing it for $40-70k (Jalopnik guesstimate) leaves you with a mediocre POS. 335 HP was a big deal in 2001 when people were still buying Supras but sports cars today (European or otherwise) have moved on. Layer on the fact that a manual transmission was even in question and its clear Toyota is targeting the mid-life crisis pseudo “sporty” performance market shared by the Subaru BRZ, playing off its legacy. This GT version is just a marketing ploy.

Obviously some people will like it and nut all over the idea of a Supra, but after 15 years I was expecting a flagship sports model that would run alongside the other offerings: GTR (~600hp), Corvette (~550hp), M3 (~450hp) etc. You could compare it to the Porsche 911 (naturally aspirated) base but that car fits more in the category I outlined above: mid-life crisis pseudo “sporty” and still trails in HP despite being a twin Turbo and will in no way be that light.

I would like to add that if this discussion is purely around the GT car which lets you pick a power plant (and apparently V8 will fit along with manual) then yes, that does look very sweet.

I got a Glock in my 'Rari, ay 17 shots, no .38

what do you have in your garage? I have a LC but now that i’ve moved away from the city i am thinking of filling my garage with either a cayman or m2…mostly for track and autocross - my ultimate goal is to buy something like the 458 or 488 and have the skills and the balls to do 90mph drift on the track.

Should have expected BS to come in with condescending comments, as usual. Why do you need 500+ hp for a road car? After about 300hp, there is no usable difference for every day driving. In fact, more power will more likely degrade your experience, since you’ll be much less likely to experience the car at even 70% to 80%.

I used to do sports cars including track days but went over to the lowely Xterra for outdoor sports. Honestly it just makes no sense to own a sports car for 5 months of driving max in New England. For kicks I always keep a motorcycle or two. Doesn’t bleed me on insurance, take up much space and in all honesty are more fun. Prior bike was a Yamaha R1, current is just a cafe racer. I’ve been toying with a Suzuki SV track bike for next year. Image may contain: motorcycle

You live in NYC so that is true. But if you live in other areas it is definitely not true. You’re also talking about this car “for every day driving” which speaks to my point about the category it belongs in, aka “pseudo sport.”

By your own logic, why only have two doors, why make a GT version and post it online, both of these things are sub-optimal for every day driving, but you definitely selected this car because of its sporty heritage and I simply commented that as a flagship sports car its a huge disappointment vs what Toyota is capable of and where the current competition is. As I said, obviously some people will like it, but its closer to the BRZ than the GTR and simply falls short against what’s out there from every major brand with flagship sports cars. Sure, I said it condescendingly but my point is objectively valid. Also, to be fair I was expecting a GTR challenger after a 15 year wait so some of that is probably just disappointment on my end.

[original post removed]

I immediately know a car thread is started by Ohai with the same people replying each time haha

BRZs are pretty cool on the track…I have been told BRZs and Mazda Miatas are the best cars to learn to drive on the track before going hero mode with Corvettes, Ferraris, etc. There is so much to learn…I guess, “the more you learn, the more you realize how dumb you are” is very true lol.

That’s fair. Same reason I’m buying a Suzuki SV if I get a track bike instead of an R1. Frankly I couldn’t handle an R1 at the limit and I’d spend the bike’s value in tires each year.

OHAI!!! can you please teach me more about ferraris!!! i never plan on getting 1 but i would like to learn more about it. THX u!