Do words like Capital/ Advisors/ Asset Management mean the same thing in company name?

Do company’s with these names mean the same thing? Is there any case which one name should not be used?

Red River Capital

Red River Management

Red River Advisors

Red River Partners

Res River Group

Red River Securities

Red River Investors

Strictly speaking from a CPA’s point of view:

When I see “Red River Partners”, I think it’s a partnership with a GP.

When I see “Red River Management”, I think it’s the GP of Red River Partners.

The other ones don’t mean anything to me. They’re just names. They don’t tell me what kind of entity it is or what kind of business they conduct.

Red River Securities - sounds like some sordid broker dealer

Grey River Securities - sounds like the name of a place I’d send my resume to.

Maybe it’s just the word red I don’t like in any of those. But there’s too many firms with the word “river” in them - in my opinion. Let me guess, you’re going to start some PE fund and you’re going to call it “Red River [something]” and you’re going to be overly altruistic and hipster’ish about how “Capital” flows like a “river”? Because it’s A) been done & B) I don’t want to give you my money.

Now if your name were something like “Grey Mountain Capital” and had a motto like “Our returns are strong, and BIG, like mountain” Then i would be lining up to give you my money.

AND HOLY CRAP - a quick google search and what can I find? http://www.greymountain.com - someone already took my idea… I’m going to drop them a line.

It could just be that the company(ies) are close to the Texas-Oklahoma border.

Those terms above basically mean nothing. However, if there is “stone” in the name, it means the firm is run by Jews. Actually, not kidding. They tend to choose that word because it has some religious references.

There is an email that just came across my desk from another “[hidden] River Capital Management” - there are too many damn “river” firms out there.

edit: wow - I used [Hidden] above to concel the firms true name. But another google search, and you’ll find that “Hidden River” is actually ANOTHER investment firm. There are entirely too many of these firms out there.

So, OP, please change the name of your firm.

I’ve interviewed at 2 firms with River in the name in the last 6 months. Additionally, when I search for “river” in my inbox folder where manager communications get archived, I found 9 different funds, fund companies, partnerships or advisors with “river” in the name.

As the founder of Gray Bridgerock River Capital Management Partners, I resent the above discussion.

https://www.bridgerockadvisors.com/ - it’s reasons like this why southpark make fun of us.

There’s definitely a Grayrock and a Riverbridge too.

I’m gonna start a short-only fund called: “Smelly Creek Capital Management” “We smell the sh** miles away.” There is quite a ring to it, yes?

Yeah, they all mean the same thing, which is “we will charge you high fees while pretending that we can consistently beat the market over the long-term.”

Why beat around the bush? Just call it “Brown @ss Water Capital”, then make a crazy volatile bet that will guarantee that you will place either in the top 1% or bottom 1% of hedge funds with roughly 50/50 odds. If you make the top 1%, then you will disrupt the whole industry.

DTF (Downtown Fullerton) Partners

LA Ocean (Lotion) Management

Manhattan Beaches Group

Short Naked Advisors

Fifty Cent Management

Poop Wealth Management - “We Invest in Poop Because It’s Cheap”

btw, am i the only one that sees Red River as a female only firm?

My aunt Flo works there.

(When the fuck are we gonna get a LIKE button around here?)

#cmon