World Cup 2018

World Cup 2018 kicked off in Russia last week, and despite the US absence, we should comment on results/impressions etc.

Some matches did not attract much attention, Spain vs Portugal was a really good watch, and Germany lost against Mexico with a complacent attitude.

So, who´s gonna make into the round of sixteen? Which team will get the title?

My guess is a final England vs France, with the Southgate team the winners…

The Economist picked Germany. So that’s who I’m going with.

But I’m rooting for Belgium or Argentina. Belgium because I like their beer, and Argentina because I’ve been there. I’ve never been to any other country that’s playing in the WC. (WC stands for World Cup. Just FYI.)

no way engerlund are getting anywhere near the final. They’ll probably do alright in their group though as they finally have a manager who has built a team rather than picking the 11 best club players and cramming them into a system.

also, that first paragraph was so delightfully german. Will they bounce back from the opening defeat?

no way these legendary choke artists are making it past round of 16.

Cheering for France and Portugal! Although I don’t think neither will reach the finals. Probably Spain/Germany for the finals.

My prediction is a Brazil vs Germany final, with Brazil winning it. I’m rooting for England though and optimistic they will do better this time than in 2014 or 2010. There have been quite a few surprises so far, which will make it an interesting tournament.

Also predicting a record number of penalty kicks with the introduction of VAR.

yes, absolutely. There’s kind of an unspoken thing in football where the referee has a higher bar for a penalty or sending off in big games so they don’t ruin the spectacle. They tend to only give them when it’s a stonewall penalty but now with VAR there’ll be more borderline ones given

VIVA MEXICO! Mexico RA RA RA!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/18/mexican-fans-set-off-earthquake-sensors-celebrating-world-cup-win

Is Messi the biggest choker out of all top athletes? I think so

Messi shouldn’t take penalties for Argentina anymore – he keeps making a messi of them.

European team will win the cup in Europe like always. And Russia is yet Europe. I bet on Portugal.

Belgium FTW

I think there should be a reverse penalty kick for people who fake that they have been fouled.

I can see a finale between either Spain, France, or Portugal. I don’t think Germany makes it there this time, nor does Brazil. Looks like tiki taka might be back with a vengeance.

This first hammering is a heavy load, esp. considering the way they acted. Against Sweden and Korea, it won´t get easier to play, as they´re expected to act more defensively. An early elimination from the WC would correspond with Spain 2014, Italy 2010 (…), when the titleholder left “premature”.

BTW I don´t think that Spain will win, when they were ahead against Portugal, they started tiki-taka, seemed overconfident and got the equaliser.

What is going on with the German team Bremen74? One win and three defeats in five games this year is terrible! Of course most were friendlies but still.

No team has looked really good yet. Lots of team could win. I think Belgium have a better chance than England and both have a great draw. Even teams like Uruguay and Portugal have a chance. It seems very open this time around.

Lol! Even teams like Portugal have a chance. You’re probably a football expert. in my opinion, although Belgium is a good team, Croatia has better chance than Belgium and England.

Iceland wins it easy. Goes through groups as second seed, ties every game and destroys em all on penalties

Iceland is the pleasant surprise but not since current cup only. One fighting spirit and persistent team. They can break the plans to many. I hope it wouldn’t be us.