Going Istanbul

Hey

So i’m heading to Istanbul for the weekend with the wife. Any ya’ll been?

I’m most looking forward to doing a food tour around the old city… it’s about a 5-6hr walk sampling 10-15 different dishes. I’m also heading to Nusr-Et…hopefuly Salt Bae is there and i can get that picture with him that i always wanted…

peace.

I’ve been. Didn’t do much time in Istanbul, just two nights. I spent 13 days in Antalya on the southern coast. However, Turkey recognizes English the least out of any country I’ve visited. I had no problem getting around and enjoying Hong-Kong speaking English… But using English in Turkey was a nightmare. One of the worst dinners I’ve ever had. But it was sort of cool when you get off the airplane and the pilot hands you an M16, bullet proof vest, and a couple hand grenades.

Hong Kong is basically an English speaking city. Not a fair comparison.

Istanbul was Constantinople

Now it’s Istanbul, not Constantinople.

I went to Istanbul about 5 years ago and absolutely loved it. Genuinely one of my favourite cities.

We did a food tour as well, the guide took us round the spice market and then we took a ferry over to the asian side of the city and went round a few other markets that weren’t as touristy.

If you like nice food I’d 100% recommend the restaurant Mikla, it was outstanding and pretty reasonable for the quality of food.

If you’re brave head to a Hammam, that was a strange experience.

Ah thanks Gringo.

I’m planning on going to a Hamman! And we’re taking a short boat ride on the bosphorous. Hopefully we’ll have time to explore the Asian side too.

I need to take lira?.. They seem to price a lot of things in US and EUR…

I took lira and my overseas credit card. I always find that places that take USD or EUR use a bad exchange rate and that pains me as I’m a stereotype.

constantinople/istanbul was literally the richest city in history. how the byzantine empire crumbled to the ottoman turks is very sadddd

I might be heading to Istanbul on the 19th. Just remember you can get pretty much anything at a deep discount if you bargain. Clothes, and for some reason, medicine are a very popular thing to shop while there.