Most overrated cuisine

I think it’s Italian…

Appetizer… Caprese… Bruschetta… fancy names, boring, sometimes bland, overpriced

Pasta, cheap and easy to make, even by hand

pasta sauces, same combo of ingredients, long cook times and ingredient selection allows for large margin of error, not impressed

desserts really are good though and some more complex seafood stews. Pizza also great.

oh yeah and pasta with olive oil and garlic, pasta with cheese and pepper, for like $20+, phst

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbGSI0Ahtac]

Even though I like Italian food, I would agree.

Are we talking about ethnic food ass served in America? Or actual Italian cuisine

Molecular gastronomy.

Don’t give me foams, reimaginings, whimsical presentations, hydrocolloid suspensions, etc. Just gimme a meal to eat!!!

You guys probably aren’t eating very good Italian then…

I like it too but I just think it’s overpriced and overrated relative to other cuisines especially when looking at the amount of effort and ingredients used.

Indian

It seems that HP associates type of ingredient as value like in a Vegas buffet; meat is better, carbs are cheap and therefore not good value. That should not be how we view food. Just like any food, there is pasta that is made of low or high quality ingredients, as well as pasta that is made to a high or low quality standard.

One problem seems to be that Italian food is Americanized here, which contributes to food stereotypes that we can see in this thread. In this sense, Italian food is probably underrated, since a lot of people just think of it as some Safeway dried pasta with Prego sauce on top.

Italian sucks. French sucks. All Europe sucks. The best is Korean bbq but it’s very dirty. All the other Korean shit sucks. My favorite though is eating seafood. Cept caviar, but I hate for the price so it’s shit value. It’s all right to below average in taste. My favorite is Alaskan crab with lemon and butter and some rice mixed with the same shit. I like everything else mussels oysters clams shrimp.

Nah and I hate to sound like a foodie (which I’m definitely not) but I consider technique as well. Italian cooking is lazy and uninspired, tastes fine but I think people feel it’s upscale and are willing to pay for the experience for reasons unknown to me. There are noodle dishes from other cultures that are much more complex and priced better.

Brah what italian food have you had - microwaveable box of macaroni and formaggio? Every jabroni can make some pasta at home. Every other restaurant everywhere is “italian”. The oversupply and lack of novelty factor make italian food seem shitty, boring and overrated but good italian food tastes amazing.

The least exciting cuisines i’ve tasted are english and russian. I’d refrain from using the term ‘overrated’ though cause not sure if anyone rates them positively other than possibly english or russian people…

Consensus agrees with you on English and Russian, though I have had some really good Russian food, this one place I went to on a date at the girl’s suggestion blew a hole in my wallet though :frowning:

Every cuisine is diverse, but I’d say the stereotypical Japanese cuisine (sushi, yakitori, teriyaki chicken). Anything that has been Americanized is overrated.

What about Italian food in Italy? I feel like it is significantly better there. Some cuisines are worse to me in a country. For instance, Chinese food. American Chinese food is great. Authentic Chinese food in Beijing? Ehhh maybe not so much. Some dishes are really good, but in general they don’t have huge chunks of chicken like we do in the plates. So my favorite there was Beijing Duck, which was a bit of a specialty. But, back to the Italian cuisine - have you eaten in Rome or Milan?

Yeah Chinese food in China is bad relative to ours haha relies on a lot of stuff you wouldn’t eat if you were rich enough to afford not to

I haven’t been out of the country, America first and all, maybe someday.

In terms of the worst cuisine? English, Slavic, Czech, is pretty medieval and uninspiring. My gf went to China in June and said other than Duck specialty, it was awful as well.

The question was overrated though and it may be tough to disagree that American Italian isn’t the most. Although, I’ve had food in Milan and Bologna and it was some of the best I’ve ever had.

Another vote for Italian here. But i haven’t tried it in Italy so I might change my mind.

Italian: are we talking Olive Garden, or more like a family run trattoria?

I still remember Ferrera and Veniero in Manhattan for desserts and a really nice plate of scungilli over fettuccine at Puglia’s on Hester Street! Naturally, I would love to go to Italy and try out their food first hand!