eSports..

Big or not big?..

Where is the revenue coming from here? I’m particularly interesting in how broadcast revenues, or advertisment revenues are generated.

My understanding is that a majority of broadcasting is on internet platforms like Twitch, Youtube, or some other platforms like that. Advertisers can pay the broadcasting company, or they sponsor the teams.

Anyway, my uneducated opinion is that eSports is going to get more share of viewership, since video games can get more spectacular and more visually appealing over time. NFL or baseball is ultimately just the same thing, and kids nowadays don’t like to get hurt, so fewer are involved in those sports themselves.

foolishness. computer games will never substitute real sports. i see these kids with their mics and headphones huddled around a computer thinking they’re “athletes” but at the same time, i’m like, how are you an athlete when you do is click buttons on a computer or console that won’t attract revenue when the game is out of hype in 6 months?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/490522/global-esports-market-revenue/

its going to be hugeeeeeee

amzn just dropped a bill on twitch in 2014, many peg it at 20bil cuz its keeps doubling every year.

It will be A LOT bigger than it is right now.

Those kids who watch eSports aren’t into baseball now. They are already spending 5 hours a day playing Call of Duty. Companies just need to convince them that one out of those 5 hours should be spent watching other nerds play, rather than do it themselves.

Why would you watch when you can play? Are kids these days that lazy?

Guess so. MAGA

you cna make the same argument for any sport. lol

No one plays CoD anymore. Activision has officially ran that franchise into the ground.

Ok whatever, Overwatch or Fortnite or whatever. Point is, those ADD kids are spending all their time in front of that screen anyway. Companies just need to dangle something interesting in front of them to capture their interest.

Another key thing with these broadcasts is that people can watch videos while doing other online things, like email, sexting, Facebook, pretending to do homework, pron, Reddit, etc.

Anyway, once these kids achieve full online saturation, the EMP will hit and they will become disoriented and thus, completely docile when the lizard men emerge. The reptile age will come soon.

Ya kids are lazy af. I’ve watched my kids watching other kids play with toys on youtube.

Watching pro games is exciting. I watch pro dota 2

when i dont have time to play or i want to learn how pros play their heroes. This is really big and will get bigger as # of people who play online increases. Currently 40-50s+ dont play many games. I expect that to change into the futur and also expect massive spike of gaming once people retire. I wish i could invest but i dont see any pure plays (or dont know any company)

Rumor is PUBG is dead too, now that Blackout is out

I think this will be big. It’s like a more entertaining version of chess to watch. Lots of people who don’t game don’t realize the skills required to be good at them. Not sure I’d call it athletic, but definitely is not a passive activity like watching TV

unlike tv, because you need to be into the particular game you’re watching to the point that you understand what you’re watching, i see esports success as being limited to mostly hardcore gamers and a few franchises and don’t see it going much beyond that. i also see it being limited to mostly shooters. i can’t envision people sitting around and watching people playing virtual sports over real sports for their entire life but watching someone snipe someone cannot be replicated in real life without a million dollar entry fee or by putting your own life on the line.

water sports > esports

It is going to be huge, league of legends worlds tournament start next week it should be a good thermometer. Only reason it isn’t bigger is because the non-asian teams have no chance

packet staples center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHAo1Fbiul0

People who say it’s not athletic is true… but it probably takes more skill than rifle shooting, darts, snooker and a bunch of other boring ‘sports’.

as you get old you just dont know how to keep up with whats cardi poppin.