Anybody got a proven jet-lag avoidance strategy for long haul flights?

I feel like I tried them all, shift time zone automatically, take connecting flights, use chemicals, do nothing…most things work once, and then I am back to just getting crushed. Taking connecting flights probably has worked the best for me, but no idea why.

i actually have a highly efficient sleep pattern. i sleep twice a day. so i can adjust it fairly easily to suit my needs. i dont sleep much though. maybe 5 to 6 hours. broken down 65/35.

Have you tried avoiding jets?

I fly a lot and the only ways I have found to reduce jet lag are to fly business and to pick good flight times depending on the length of the flight. If you can time it for a flight where you arrive 1st thing in the morning and have managed to sleep, or arrive in the evening and have not slept, I find that works the best. My worst case scenario is getting on a flight in the mid afternoon and the lights go off and everyone goes to sleep.

People recommend taking melatonin pills but I don’t like popping pills

I never sleep, 'cause sleep is the cousin of death.

the only thing better than poppin bottles in the ice, is poppin prescription pills in the kitchen

Matthew Walker detailed a method in Joe Rogan’s podcast on sleep. I forget the details, but it has to do with using melatonin pills at a certain point to reset the circadian ryhthm. You can probably find a transcript or clip of what I’m talking about

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIJsAmtBojg

I found not eating or drinking alcohol on overnight flights help a lot! Just hydrate with lots of water and sleep

The most effective method I’ve ever come across for this is to not take intercontinental flights. Should’nt have a problem with jet lag then.

America first!

Become the President, then you can fly in a 747 and jog around the cabin.

When I was coming back from China, all the old ladies were doing their square dances in the aisles. It looked fun

I was afraid someone was going to recommend this…getting a bit drunk makes the flight so much more better.

Intermittent fast then eat when you arrive - I think studies have shown that this helps the circadian rhythm to adjust

im physically incapable of refusing free booze (yes, I know it’s not actually free) and always get smashed on flights. I almost blew a pitch once when I arrived at lunch time.

I love drinking on the planes too! It’s a trade-off, like with anything in life :wink:

I personally find this works best for me:

1. Watch some movie you’ve watched 100 times on the plane. Over time your eyes will start to get droopy themselves, especially if it is an overnight flight because the lights are dimmed on the plane.
  2. Only have a snack and non-alcoholic drinks on the flight. I once asked the air hostess for fruit and a glass of milk. I don’t know why it just works for me.
  3. When your eyes start to get droopy, take the hint and fall asleep. My body is not used to sleeping on flights so I’ll usually wake up after a few hours.
  4. When that happens, turn to doing something you like: reading a book, watching a movie you haven’t seen, listening to music, talking to your neighbours, etc.

I usually take a connecting flight with a few hours in between in bright sunlight. This is when I choose to eat a proper meal. If you’re traveling business class, munch on the food provided, else purchase a hot meal in a restaurant of your choice. Walk around, do some shopping, sightsee, do whatever, but try not to sit down. You want to tire yourself out and also stretch those muscles.

When you get back on the flight repeat above.

By the time I get to my destination I’m adjusted well, so that if I reach at night, I sleep right away and if I reach during the day, I’m up and about as if I never travelled.

I just read Reddit!

I get jet lag changing 3 time zones, but not changing 9 time zones.

Weird.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vogue.com/article/body-clock-jet-lag-fasting-trick-chronobiology-holiday-travel/amp