"Conservatives are using identity politics to destroy liberalism from within"

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-10-18/elizabeth-warren-dna-response-shows-failure-of-liberalism

Quality opinion article describes how PC thinking ultimately harms liberals politically. I don’t know about his other claim though, that this effect is orchestrated by conservatives; it probably just happens when people care too much about projecting what they think are desirable political values.

Yeah this isn’t the right’s doing, self implosion is the naturally inevitable end point of identity politics. Kids these days think they’re so original but this isn’t the first merry-go-round for these strategies. You can see it with Hollywood eating itself alive with me too leaders now charged with paying off accusers or BLM turning on the ACLU because “liberalism is white supremacy”. In what stands out to me as the Waterloo for the “I’m offended” virtue signaling movement (even though they lacked the self-awareness to know it yet), I knew things were evolving to their fantastic end when the Chicago Pride parade (long representing itself as a protest for inclusion) banned marchers who had for years carried pride flags with the Jewish star on them. As Slate summed it up:

"Has there ever been a crisper expression of the consequences of “intersectionality” than a ban on Jewish lesbians from a Dyke March? Intersectionality is the big idea of today’s progressive left. In theory, it’s the benign notion that every form of social oppression is linked to every other social oppression…

Well, in practice, intersectionality functions as kind of caste system, in which people are judged according to how much their particular caste has suffered throughout history. Victimhood, in the intersectional way of seeing the world, is akin to sainthood; power and privilege are profane…

One of the women who was asked to leave the Dyke March, Eleanor Shoshany Anderson, couldn’t understand why she was kicked out of an event that billed itself as intersectional. “The Dyke March is supposed to be intersectional,” she said. “I don’t know why my identity is excluded from that. I felt that, as a Jew, I am not welcome here.”…

The organizers are also making the spurious claim that the Jewish star is necessarily a symbol of Zionist oppression — a breathtaking claim to anyone who has ever seen a picture of a Jew forced to wear a yellow one under the Nazis. No, the truth is that it was no more and no less than anti-Semitism."

I’d argue that heavy PC thinking is part of the far-left ideology. That calling PC a left belief is ideologically comparable to calling neo-nazis right. While it’s technically true in that both PC Hippies and Nazis belong to their respective groups, the majority of the left and right don’t associate with those groups.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/large-majorities-dislike-political-correctness/572581/

Heavy PC Ideology is mostly found in elite white communities and elite colleges, not in most liberal communities. It’s mostly brought up by the right

A large majority of people say they dislike political correctness, but they feel compelled to follow it anyway, making them uncomfortable. Otherwise, people are just not aware of the intrinsic hypocrisy of their beliefs, although others are, as in the Jewish lady example above.

There is no problem with being nice about things, but the problem is when people overcompensate with PC because they think it makes them morally better, to the extent that it is more than what they actually believe.

Ah yes, the classic far-left… elite white communities and elite colleges.

I’d say Berkeley and Cambridge are the most liberal areas in the US

Yeah, I live next door to Cambridge. You think any of those people have interest in a classless, stateless society? They aren’t anarchists or communists (who correctly reject identity politics). You can’t call liberals far-left.

Eh the last part isn’t even true. White Christian terrorism has melted most white women’s brains.

And crown thy good with brother hood from sea to shining sea!

PC does not equal liberalism. Try talking about abortion rights, gun control, right-sizing defense spending, in certain red states or cities and see how far you get. And yes you will be shouted down, people will protest, death threats will be mailed in, and your business will be boycotted. Bottom line, everyone has their sacred cows and there is plenty of PC to go around. Consider, if the right believes that liberalism is so bad, then why are liberal and centrist cities doing so darn great? How come so many people want to move to and live in Austin, Denver, Seattle, Boston, Chicago, Miami, Portland, San Fran, LA, New York…etc.? Why are these places vibrant, exciting, diverse and full of opportunity? How come red state cities are becoming depopulated, and facing opiod addiction crime, oops, I meant opiod public health crisis?

Blue cities definitely get lots of stuff wrong, but they are about inclusion and creating an environment where both libs and conservatives can live and prosper. Red cities are all about exclusion, busy debating pointless issues like sharia law, same sex washrooms, and illegal voting. I will take some idiocy like “safe spaces” over a debate on shariah law…7 days a week.

Comical, the only thing I can take away from this gold mine is you’ve never lived or spent any amount of time in most of these places. Nice smattering of cities in hard right states (Boston: traditional Catholic city in Puritan state with Republican governors, TX, CO), confusion of urbanism cause and effect, ignoring left state finances (Illinois?, NYC infrastructure?), Chi-raq is now a utopia? Got a nice chuckle out of the liberalism is about inclusion and both parties living in harmony and I don’t think PC means what you think it means.

Now let me try actual census stats, states by population growth 2017, descending order: Idaho (Trump), Nevada (Clinton), Utah (Trump), Washington (Clinton), Arizona (Trump), Florida (Trump), Colorado (Clinton), Texas (Trump).

I already acknowledged that these cities have some lousy policies, among them is letting homeless run amuck. Moreover, I am in SF once a month, and the homeless problem in downtown SF doesn’t diminish what an overall amazing place to live the Bay Area is.

As usual, you’re oversimplifying so you can criticize. I was referring to cities not states, and I already acknowledged some cities are centrist, not necessary libs. Even so, you are ignoring base effects, many of the states you site are tiny populations. Moreover, Idaho, Nevada are only growing because super-dynamic California has so much innovation it has spilled over into those states causing workers to relocate. I was recently pitched an investment to build multi-family housing in Boise because Idaho is so incompetent they can’t sort out housing for this windfall they got from relocating tech workers.

Oh yeah, and when you look at the state level, most red states are net takers from the federal gov. Basically they are welfare queens, who are flat broke and living off taxes paid for by blue states. Now dats some irony.

I think you’re the one oversimplifying. As per usual you failed to address all the points that didn’t fit your narrative. Fake News there snowflake! Not to mention, those cities exist in right states for a reason and that reason is solid republican state finances, infrastructure and work force. Take a look at the Amazon HQ2 checklist. You also are conflating urbanization cause and effect. Lolz simpletons. The welfare blurb is a nice quote that’s thrown around but again doesn’t really hold up to your point when you dig in. It’s simply not that clear cut. Take the welfare rankings for instance, California is such a wonderful liberal utopia with all the benefits of coastal access and resources, yet if you are a registered Democrat you are twice as likely to have received food stamps. The reality is when you break it down by community and voter affiliation there’s either a negative or no correlation. The issue is those people statistically are less likely to vote (only 20% of lowest income households vote) and hence you have highly motivated right state voters. More pseudo science from the unintelligent liberalists who of course ignore actual analysis in building their Fake News. Try digging into the demographics of welfare disbursements in states like LA, AL, GA and compare that with the voting demographics instead you get caught up in weak fake news as per usual. Read a book sometime.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/07/12/the-politics-and-demographics-of-food-stamp-recipients/

http://www.people-press.org/2015/01/08/the-politics-of-financial-insecurity-a-democratic-tilt-undercut-by-low-participation/

Least Financial Secure Less Likely to Vote or to Otherwise Engage With Politics

No other state comes close to California in terms of total welfare spending

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/no-other-state-comes-close-to-california-when-it-comes-to-welfare-spending-2017-11-28

Marlene resorting to the elitist point of view again. “Liberals are richer and more educated, so their point of view is more valid”. Even if true, that is besides the point of this article, which is that hypocrisy in PC is ultimately going to be politically self harmful. Defensiveness and lack of acknowledgement of this argument contributes to the problem.

Lol, this is by percentage, completely meaningless. Obviously small rural states growing from a small base grew fastest by percentage. I’m assuming you got the info from this report, which mirrors your list. Idaho grew to…1.7 million total population, which is less than Texas or California added from 2010 to 2017.

Thiswikipedia article compares 2010 census to 2017 estimate and you can compare by total population for absolute numbers. Below is a list of growth by number of residents:

1. Texas ®

2. California (D)

3. Florida (D/R)

4. Georgia ®

5. North Carolina ®

6. Washington (D)

7. Arizona ®

8. Colorado (D)

9. New York (D)

10. Virginia (D)

*throws papers in the air*

Yeah, but absolute value is meaningless. Alternately you are just assessing landmass and number of urban areas with Texas ® clearly outgrowing Rhode Island (D), thanks for that!

You’re funny bro. Kansas is solid republican finances, lol? Poor southern states corruptly run by republicans for decades are poor because of liberals? Zero accountability, that’s why no one wants to live in states that give us people like mike pence or mitch mcconell.