'Cause I-I never been the type to break up a happy home! Is Rent control good or bad?

So tell me, ma, what’s it gonna be? She said you don’t know what you mean to me

And turd is threatened to be banned because he posts stupid stuff too often?

It can be positive if not abused. There is some value in rules that say landlords cannot be predatory, like offering low rent, then raising it by a lot intentionally after you move in. However, rent control rules can be negative for renters also, if they create large populations of below market renters who restrict supply and raise costs. This is also unfair to property owners, who shouldn’t have to keep some tenant for decades paying half market rent because they legally cannot evict the tenant or raise rents to market rates.

I would argue that it is bad in almost all cases.

The only scenario I could see any need/benefit is for all of the service workers who can’t pay market rent in a metropolitan area, but it is in our best interest to subsidize them because we need someone to wash the dishes etc.

i see no value in rent control. i feel that rent control will dissuade developers to buildout the supply that will ultimately drive rental prices down.

if we need service workers at a really expensive location, then the employer should pay their workers more as a premium for anticipated transportation costs.

rent control subsidizes the old. during booms with rising rent, it may not be bad, but the minute shit implodes and the owner is forced to lower rents, then they will perma subsidize new renters at that low rent or be forced to keep them vacant until rent becomes more reasonable.

also in rent control buildings, the owners typically skirt the laws in order to maintain it as cheap as possible so quality substantially drops at the expense of the subsidized renter who will very likely file an annoying complaint that you will no doubt ignore until ordered by the court.

Economically bad, causes dead weight loss and messes with supply and demand equilibrium. Super bad if you have owned property that became rent controlled, and you have to keep upgrading your property due to arbitrary regulations, while you can’t raise the rent or remove the tenant. Oops did I say that out loud?