Macron, the height of leftist anti-intellectualism?

Macron: "Nationalism is Treason"

* Nationalism: patriotic feeling, principles, or efforts. * Treason: the crime of betraying one’s country.

Hmmm. :confused:

Trump broke the left.

To put this in context, in Macron’s speech, he was comparing nationalism to patriotism. He was making a claim that nationalism is a betrayal of patriotism because patriotism is supposed to uphold the moral values of a nation. He says nationalism is a betrayal of those moral values because it puts self interest before others.

So, his point is not as idiotic as PA makes it sound in his paraphrased account…but to assume one is morally wrong to put their own self interest first is where I would start in my negative critique of Macron.

Merriam Webster patriotism

noun

pa·​tri·​ot·​ism | \ˈpā-trē-ə-ˌti-zəm, chiefly British ˈpa-\

Definition of patriotism

: love for or devotion to one’s country

I mean, Macron did the classic leftist thing where they appropriate a word, alter its definition then try to use the red herring to build a logically weak case. He also just assumed the blanket morality of the country. Basically just a bunch of pseudo intellectual babble on his end. People are really upset the US isn’t catering to their needs anymore. People have lost the ability to simply discuss the issue at hand without recasting it into some form over oversimplified moral crime.

Well, both “patriotism” and “nationalism” are words that are open to poetic license. Some definitions of patriotism include support for fellow citizen’s values (aka morals). I don’t think it is a logically weak case for him to point out that some people, in the name of French identity, are being “anti French” _ given the assumption _ that prioritizing the wellbeing of other nations is a French value. Like I said, that assumption is highly arguable, but the presentation of the point he wanted to make is actually pretty clever I think.

Lol what that heck is he rambling about. The French have been the most consistently self-centered countries in history. I don’t think any word is open to poetic license unless people are also willing to throw the veracity of their argument out the window. I mean, citing poetic license is just openly admitting the you’re just bending reality.

Lol… it is pretty silly actually. :grin:

I’m looking forward to main stream news interpretations.

MSM:

Trump and America = bad

Everyone else = good

“Patriotism is the exact opposite of nationalism: nationalism is treason.”

Well, in context there are two blatantly false statements in his postmodernist nonsense.

• Nationalism: patriotic feeling, principles, or efforts.
  • Patriotism: the quality of being patriotic; vigorous support for one’s country
  • Treason: the crime of betraying one’s country.

Patriotism and nationalism are synonyms, his first statement is false. And of course nationalism is the opposite of treason. One could however say that anti-nationalism is treason, that does hold per these definitions (in which case Macron, Merkel, Obama, etc are guilty).

Meaning the values he represents, and the values he claims his people share (which they clearly do not). And as you say, how would putting a nation’s self-interest first be treason? Actually globalism would be treason as it subordinates the state. Anyhow, any morality-based argument is bullshit, and usually comes from authoritarians, as is the case here. This is part of the continued attempt to make nationalism illegal, silence those people who disagree, break down nationhood and pursuing of national best interests, and install global corporatism as the ruling body with the only interest of maximizing profits.

Upon further investigation it actually sounds more idiotic, and treasonous, than I originally thought. :grin:

Nationalism is great, I think the fact that nazis which are nationalists comp stomped his country is why he associated nationalism with evil.

You say patriotism and nationalism are synonyms. The connotations have come to be different colored by buzz discussions surrounding topics like globalism and authoritarianism. One is a pride in one’s citizenship that does not include a feeling of superiority. One is a pride/identity that crosses the boundary into a belief that citizenship comes with superiority. You can argue whether or not that is a bunch of nonsense, but you can’t deny that the connotation of patriotism and nationalism are different in modern discussion.

I guess you could argue that it would in fact be treason to put other nations well being at a priority (in contrast to Macron’s claim) but I don’t agree. What constitutes treason has to be based on what that nation interprets as loyal behavior. Thinking like a globalist, letting other nations fall apart could be disloyal to your own interest if you rely on global stability to thrive.Whether or not YOU agree that that is true is irrelevant.

Full disclosure… I don’t agree with Macron but I DO think his speech was clever. I’m just bored and feel like arguing :wink:

yea i read about it. apparently there is a difference between the 2. initially they were synonymous in the 19th century, but the usage of nationalism began to imply the blind loyalty towards a country. patriotism is to be proud of ones country based on their actions. so patriotism requires a condition statement, while nationalism implies absolute loyalty no matter what.

Who gives a Fyck what Macron Says. At the end of the day, he will say what pleases his constituents and not some deep fact about humanity. He probably wanted to say something to stand against Trump and this comment served the purpose. Whether it was right or not is both irrelevant and has been the political discourse for the last 50 years.

Woe is me, I am such a victim, DJT please save me…

Nationalism is so basic.

Has globalism ever not led to war?

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wLB5QLfJdM]

Globalism prevents war. Countries tend to avoid going to war with their trading partners.

^ correct. globalism means there is something to lose before lives so you have more opportunities to prevent loss of life and you can argue about stupid $hit before you threaten to kill each other.

also, “patriotism is supposed to uphold the moral values of a nation” - this statement will vary from nation to nation. clearly the US is and has historically been more isolationist and less inclusive than most of the europe and canada. most canadians feel a moral obligation to take in a reasonable number of refugees during some terrible humanitarian crisis, many americans do not. most canadians believe in health care as a human right, many americans do not. i imagine the moral values that macron is hinting at is related to immigration, tolerance and inclusiveness?

Must be why the US has always stayed out of wars so successfully during prior globalist administrations…

This is silly. Globalization will de facto increase foreign presence. Last I checked, Europe was trading with one another just before both World Wars and alliances proved such a good thing. Countries with higher degrees of foreign interests have more reasons to engage. Going back a bit further I’m pretty sure Europe was trading with all of their colonies while fighting hundreds of years of conflicts that escalated alongside… global trade.