Statement from President Donald J. Trump on Standing with Saudi Arabia

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-president-donald-j-trump-standing-saudi-arabia/

He’s not denying that Saudi Arabia is evil - he’s just saying Saudi Arabia’s enemies are more evil… which I guess could make sense…

the enemy of enemy is my friend!! even genocide stalin was an excellent ally!

Protecting the relationship he handed to his daughter and son-in-law.

Isn’t that the entire reason we are Saudi’s ally? While I think Trump is nuts, it is interesting that sometimes he says stuff that is just true but other politicians have been lying about it forever. It is interesting how Americans are now just realizing we are allied with this awful country for other strategic objectives in the region. What is going on in Yemen is a shame and obviously is less news worthy than Trump’s 5 AM tweets.

Agreed. People acting shocked and appalled when for the last decades nobody batted an eye while the US lined up record defense deals and cozied up to one of the biggest human rights violators in the region. People don’t hate Trump specifically, they hate him because staring at him is looking into a reflection of the American people with the facade pulled down. They just want a return to the simpler times of gentile presidents masking ignorant foreign policy. I don’t even buy the line that Iran is worse, I think we’re just getting played by Israel on that one. KSA has been publicly beheading people for crimes like apostasy at a 2:1 rate vs ISIS in its heyday for years with very limited judicial transparency and everyone just shrugs. What’s the difference? They use a bigger knife or a bigger crude tanker?

The idea that Iran is evil and Saudi, if not quite good, is at least less bad is some grade A level bullshit. George W spent years spinning the same yarn.

The truth is that Saudi has a lot of oil and if the regime there is toppled Saddam style it could depress the world economy for a couple of years as the oil price spikes. That’s it.

Most of the 9/11 perpetrators were from Saudi and the regime there is truly heinous. When transport moves fully electric over the next 20 years watch America’s so called alliance with Saudi fizzle our rapidly.

So much for America’s moral leadership in the world. Trump put it up for sale.

This might not bother you, but it really bothers me.

Lol, wut? America’s moral leadership is some mind boggling ra ra Sunday School sh*t. This is the same way KSA has been behaving for 40 years and we’ve been complicit at every turn. The only thing that has changed is the classic head in the sand crowd have started cucking up a storm now that Trump is involved.

Agree 90% but putting this on W is too narrow. It started in the 80’s, hit full swing under HW and Bill and was perpetuated by Obama (remember the largest US arms deal in history?). This is definitely a consistent US theme across parties and decades.

Yeah. That’s fair. Successive US governments hypocritically sucking up to the Saudis so as not to rock the boat in terms of the oil price has been a solid bipartisan position since the 70s.

Its not just the US of course. Pretty much all western countries have a similar policy.

Great statement, one of the best I’ve ever read.

Ok “evil” is maybe a vague and meaningless term. Let’s say instead that Saudi Arabia is lesser than other countries in its ability and/or willingness to do harm (to the US).

I am generally with you on this, but I don’t know what you mean that people don’t like trump cuz he is some form of extreme real politik? That doesn’t seem right to me.

This statement is just the usual bag of half-truths and general dishonesty that trump always puts forward. If Iran has killed so many Americans then this letter should give a number. Who cares they chant “Death to America” or “I want my MTV”? KSA will buy weapons from China or Russia – give me a break – the US is their only defender in the world. We must defend Israel, why, what’s the return on investment on this one…? We may never know the truth behind Khashoggi murder, really? Trump is a tool just like all previous presidents of the military industrial complex and foreign powers like Israel.

US only import 15% of their oil from KSA, it’s not a big number and can easily be replaced. The sucking up happens because of all the military hardware we sell them, and other big ticket items like airplanes and agriculture. You are spot on that the Europeans are just as bad.

Wait, there are people who are just realising how awful Saudi are?

Apparently Iran hate the UK much more than the US. Brits actually can’t get a visa to visit.

I’d love to go to Iran. Every Iranian person I’ve ever met has been a total legend and the food is outstanding. Bourdain in Iran was one of my all time favourites.

https://theculturetrip.com/middle-east/iran/articles/20-must-visit-attractions-in-iran/

I have a good amount of persian friends - mainly from wrestling - and they are some of the best people i know.

I mean if you’re arguing that Trump sucks in a big way as a person and 50% of it is made up BS I’m not disagreeing with you. I just don’t think that in reality he’s any better or worse than past presidents, I think that distinction is a delusion. But he also has put on full display through his own actions a lot of the American hypocrisy and sh*tty foreign policy because where prior presidents would glaze over it (hear my words, ignore my actions) he puts it front and center and celebrates it. Between that and his crassness and unwillingness to put up the facade you wind up with a reflection of the American people and those that had their heads in the sand are recoiling, talking about things like lost “moral leadership” above.

It’s Ironic how Iran started their anti-Israel stance 40 years ago because they saw Israel as the oppressor of all these Sunni Arabs and that was against their ideology but now those same Arabs are in bed (more or less) with Israel and the shiites are becoming the enemy.

as long as sauds keeps the price of oil low. I am a big fan! does it really matter that they silence a poltical critic. thats their world. we should focus on ours.

did you guys see trump tweet. compared low oil prices to a tax cut. very clever metaphor!