what is everyone's thots on art? i think its useless, and i dont understand why ppl drop lotta money on it.

[original post removed]

It boggles my mind when people drop mega-$$$$$ on one piece @ Sotheby’s.

I like art museums, so I don’t mind paying to get in. Except for modern art- a lot of it is just crap.

Today, the best artists work in jobs that pay real money, just like every field. The most talented artist is making movies for Disney or maybe video games with $200 million budget, not making some weird @ss clay sculpture funded by bored rich heiress’. So, just by consuming popular media, you’re already compensating talented artists for their work.

With that being said, I like a lot of impressionist art, and I do appreciate historical significance of lots of pieces. It’s interesting to see how certain artists pioneered new techniques and moved the whole genre forward.

i mean commercial artists are really just sell outs from what i’ve read. also ur not making bank on that shit, ur just a salaried dude. im talking about up and comign artists selling their work at 35k a pop.

like do people just get this art crap to pretend to be creative and to hobnob it with rich foos. its kind of like pretending to like golf or tennis.

Why have to accuse artists of being sell outs? I see a lot of doctors charging fees, not working for charity. Hardworking, skilled people deserve to be paid. In the case of commercial artists, they make thousands or millions of people entertained with their output. That is a good use of their work, and has higher social and cultural contributions than most “high art”.

I’ve tried to stop understanding why people like what they like. Like baseball/football/basketball, not idea how someone can sit through more than 5 mins of that… I do agree that a lot of people like art for status.

ohai my brother. i agree with you. i am just telling you with high society feels about commercial artists. like they are seen as the low end as they do not follow their passion.

The answer is that they’ve picked the wrong sport. Try ice hockey. Best sport there is, definitely not boring.

No fans of ‘‘The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living’’? I thought that piece of art (shit) was popular among the finance community?

True art doesn’t need to be a picture on a canvas, or words on a page or actors on the stage :bulb: