Jobs in Finance

Hey Guys,

My Background

Qualifications :

1. Bachelor’s Degree from Mumbai University
  2. Cleared all three levels of CFA ( L3 in June 2018)
  3. Awaiting results of Final Level of Chartered Accountancy,to be announced in January

Career

I have no practical experience in the field of Finance,only experience that I have is in Accountancy and Audit as a part of Chartered Accountancy course

So my question is how do I approach in

1. Finding the field in Finance that interests me
  2. Knowing what actually goes on in the field at the ground level
  3. Choosing the right company in the field I like

One suggestion I know of is talking to people who are working in the field (which I am planning to do) for that to work properly as well I need some help in asking the right questions in a structured manner

Contact this VP:

Hi Ankit,

Congratulations first of all.

1. Finding the field in finance that interests me - This is extremely difficult to first find, even more difficult to find an opportunity. Networking helps big time here, attend all the local CFA meets and connect with leaders as much as possible.

2. Knowing what actually goes on the field at ground level - Again very difficult to get that overall view so easily. Network get into a firm first, then take it up from there by networking within the organization.

3. Choosing the right company I like - You are never going to have that luxury in India, when you start of first. Not all companies offer internships - apply for internships and see where it takes you. Again attending career events from CFA local society helps. Remember, its not a ladder to reach where you want to be - its a zig zag route and no shortcuts here.

Good luck on your journey, you will get there. (more experienced folks, please correct me)

Why did you study accounting if you have no idea what industry in finance you would like to be? There is only one finance route that makes sense to me. Chartered Accountant, Masters in Finance, CFA, Investment Banking Analyst to Associate at big bank, Private Equity Associate and recognized name, get out of India to NY/London through internal movement, start own fund/move to hedge fund, retire with equity in solid ventures and sit on the boards of these companies.

Easy